Friday, October 10, 2014

Case Study No. 1631: Liz Morris, George Bailey, and Gillie Randall

Thriller - 1973
0:44
ATV - "File It Under Fear" (1x08) Intro. U.K. Serie qui a ete diffusee et doublee au Quebec sous le titre "Angoisse".
Tags: Thriller 1973
Added: 2 years ago
From: denfabtvs
Views: 1,390

From wikipedia.org:

Thriller is a British television series, originally broadcast in the UK from 1973 to 1976. It is an anthology series: each episode has a self-contained story and its own cast. As the title suggests, each story is a thriller of some variety, from tales of the supernatural to down-to-earth whodunits.

[...]

Season 1, Episode 8
File It Under Fear (2 Jun. 1973)

Maureen Lipman plays the part of a somewhat dowdy but incredibly sensual librarian, Liz Morris who lives at home with a somewhat domineering and morbid mother (played by Rose Hill) and a somewhat dour and enigmatic lodger Steve Kerroway. Richard O'Callaghan plays the part of George Bailey, her library assistant. It's A Wonderful Life this is not! A number of young girls in the area have gone missing / been found murdered and Liz becomes wary when she realises that she could be a victim.

The action is primarily focused on the library and the gripping conclusion takes place there. The location shots are particularly effective and atmospheric while the ending (avoid the US credits) is somewhat surprising.

---

From alaeditions.org:

Thriller (June 2, 1973, UK, TV series), "File It under Fear." Maureen Lipman plays British village librarian Liz Morris and Richard O'Callaghan plays library assistant George Bailey. Much of the action takes place in the library, where the villagers come together to gossip about a grisly series of murders. The murderer is revealed when Morris is locked inside the library by the just-fired Bailey and stalked by the killer.

---

From imdb.com:

Liz Morris: George, there will be murder if you don't get on with some filing.
Stubbs: Morning, George.
George Bailey: Good morning, Mr. Stubbs.
Gillie Randall: Oh, good morning Mr. Stubbs.
Stubbs: Oh, hello Gillie. Good morning, Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: Morning, Mr. Stubbs.
Stubbs: Now, what do you advise for today?
Liz Morris: Well, the Leader and the Times.
Stubss: Mm.
Liz Morris: You'll find that interesting. And there's another extract from the book on the Lusitania. Page 4, I marked it.
Stubbs: Oh, that's very kind of you. Thank you.
Gillie Randall: I still don't understand it.
Liz Morris: Hm?
Gillie Randall: Well, how you know what he wants to read.
Liz Morris: Ah.
Stubbs: Well, that's because I don't just come in here to read the newspapers. Sometimes I borrow a book as well. Isn't that right, Miss Morris?
Gillie Randall: What's that got to do with it?
Stubbs: Well, it's Miss Morris, you see. Her system. She swears that you can judge a person's character, you know, likes and dislikes, by the books that he reads.
Gillie Randall: Is that right?
Liz Morris: Yes, I think I can.
Gillie Randall: All right, then. This is my current reading. Judge me.
[she gives her a book]
Liz Morris: I'll try. Oh, uh, imaginative. Impulsive. You like adventure... and marmalade for breakfast.
Stubbs: There you are! Didn't I tell you?
Gillie Randall: I'll have to retaliate, though.
Liz Morris: Retaliate?
Gillie Randall: From now on, I'm going to keep a close eye on what you're reading, Miss Morris.
[she walks off, as Morris hides a copy of "Romantic Dreams" in her pocketbook]

[...]

Gillie Randall: I've only got another week, you know.
Liz Morris: Hm? Oh yes, your start of term's on Monday, isn't it?
Gillie Randall: It's been good for me, working here between college. I've learned a lot.
Liz Morris: Well, all these books.
Gillie Randall: No no, I don't mean that. I suppose I meant about people. Take poor old Mr. Stubbs, for instance. Feeling he has to apologize for being lonely. It's a terrible thing, the fear of being alone.
Liz Morris: Yes, I suppose it is.

[...]

[Liz is reading a copy of the Penbury Clarion with the headline "Local Girl Strangled" when her mother calls to her]
Mother: Liz? It's your assistant, Liz. George.
[George enters the house, as the mother calls to their boarding room tenant]
Mother: Steve? Hurry up now, Steve, you'll be late!
Steve Kerroway: Right.
George Bailey: Miss Morris, Gillie and I have been now waiting more than twenty minutes. And there are people queueing up waiting to get into the library.
Liz Morris: Hadn't you seen the papers? Betty!
George Bailey: Terrible, whole place is buzzing with it. But we do run a public service, you know. And the library is still locked.
[she hands him her keys]
George Bailey: See, this would never have happened if you'd let me have the keys in the first place. Goodbye, Misses Morris.
Mother: Bye bye.
Liz Morris: George! I, uh, I won't be in until later.
George Bailey: Well, don't worry. I can handle everything.
Mother: Do you think you should go in at all, dear? I mean, knowing the girl so well, it must be--
Liz Morris: I have to go in, mother. Eventually.
[she leaves as Steve enters]
Steve Kerroway: What's the matter with her?
Mother: Well, it's that murder! It's all in the paper this morning, look! Look, there's all this about it! A lovely girl she was, too. Liz knew her well, you know. Worked next door. You know, that little sweet shoppe right next door to the library.

[...]

George Bailey: I'm glad to see you haven't disintegrated. Miss Morris looks as though she's gone all to pieces. But the show must go on, eh?
Gillie Randall: ...
George Bailey: Right, well I'll attend to the mail, and you can start on my filing. Okay?
[Stubbs enters the library]
George Bailey: Oh, I'm awful sorry, Mr. Stubbs. The papers haven't arrived yet this morning. Um, Miss Morris is indisposed and forgot to collect them.
Stubbs: I see, thank you. I've seen all that I want to see, thank you... Poor Betty.
Gillie Randall: [crying]
Stubbs: That's all right, Gillie. All right, all right. You'll be all right... Is Miss Morris about?
George Bailey: Um, no no. I told you, she's indisposed. But if there's anything I can do to help--
Stubbs: No no no, there isn't. Thank you very much all the same. Nothing.

[...]

[Miss Morris is at the police station talking to two officers about her friend Betty]
Liz Morris: And that's all I can tell you. But I just thought you ought to know.
Supt. Cramer: And we're very grateful, Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: Well, do you think it will help?
Supt. Cramer: Well, anything may help at this time.
Sergeant Truscott: Right. Uh, thank you, Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: Oh... A married man. She definitely said she was meeting a married man. I suppose I should've spoken to her then. Warned her. But really, people don't like to be given advice, do they? Especially very young people.
Sergeant Truscott: Oh, Miss Morris, you can't be more than 28 yourself.
Liz Morris: 29, actually. Well, I mean, and then you see, Betty was a very impressionable girl. Very gullible. One could tell that from the sort of books she read.
Supt. Cramer: Yes, well, thank you for the information, Miss Morris. Sergeant, please.
Liz Morris: Oh, not at all. I just hope you get the filthy man who... I just hope you get him.
[she leaves]
Sergeant Truscott: A married man... Well, I suppose it could be. Surely this is the work of a frustrated man. I say he was single, living alone. Or with mum.
Supt. Cramer: Well, it's started, sergeant.
Sergeant Truscott: What, sir?
Supt. Cramer: The cranks!
Sergeant Truscott: You can say that again, sir!
Supt. Cramer: Frustrated as hell, that one.
Sergeant Truscott: And makes up fantasies to compensate.
Supt. Cramer: Exactly.
[he takes the librarian's written statement and crumples it up into a ball]

[...]

[a uniformed soldier hands the librarian some books]
Gerry Masters: What time do you close?
Liz Morris: 7 o'clock.
[she stamps the books, with the titles "Death by fire", "The psycho murders", and "The assassins webb"]
Gerry Masters: Thanks.

[...]

George Bailey: Goodnight Mr. Stubbs. Goodnight Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: George. The key, you forgot to return the key.
[he gives her the key and leaves]
Liz Morris: Thank you. Mr. Stubbs, we are closing.
Stubbs: Hm? Oh good lord, I must've nodded off.
[she turns and sees the soldier looking through the window]
Liz Morris: Uh, that'll do Gillie.
Gillie Randall: Oh no, there's still the history section I've got to do.
Liz Morris: No, the history can wait until tomorrow.
Gillie Randall: No listen, I don't mind.
Liz Morris: Please, tomorrow
Gillie Randall: Okay.
Liz Morris: You are going straight home, aren't you?
Gillie Randall: Yes, but you don't have to worry about me.
Stubbs: Oh Gillie, I could walk you part of the way home if you'd like.
Gillie Randall: No, honestly. Honestly, I can look after myself.
Liz Morris: Just go straight home, that's all I ask.
Gillie Randall: Yes, I will. Goodnight Mr. Stubbs.
Stubbs: Goodnight.
[she leaves]
Stubbs: Miss Morris?
Liz Morris: Hm?
Stubbs: I think you're gonna be all right tonight. See, Gillie... Gillie's a good girl. A nice girl. Goodnight.
Liz Morris: Goodnight Mr. Stubbs.

[...]

[after seeing Gillie argue with the solider outside the library, Miss Morris returns home]
Mother: Have a good day, dear?
Liz Morris: Good day? Hardly.
Mother: Oh of course, I forgot, that poor girl! Much about it in the paper?
Liz Morris: Oh god, I forgot to get one.
Mother: You forgot? Oh, now that's very selfish of you! You know how I look forward to the--
Liz Morris: Well, I'm sorry mother! I'm sorry!
Mother: All right, no need to be so sharp. Well, I didn't forget to cook your supper.
Steve Kerroway: I should be back about 10. Goodnight.
[he leaves]
Mother: Goodnight.
Liz Morris: Steve going out again. It's not like him to go out so often, during the week.
Mother: I think he's having trouble with his wife.
Liz Morris: His wife? He's not married.
Mother: Course he is. Or was. Well, still is, I suppose. They're separated. But I know she's been after him lately for some money.
Liz Morris: Well, he never told me he was married.
Mother: Well, perhaps he thought you wouldn't understand.
Liz Morris: Why wouldn't I?
Mother: Well, not having been married yourself, dear. You know. I think that's why Steve doesn't go out with any other girls at the moment. He can't afford them, or doesn't trust 'em.
[Miss Morris hears a police siren, then runs to the phone]
Liz Morris: Hello? Uh, good evening. I wonder if I could speak to Gillie Randall, please. Oh, I see. Um, well no. If you could just ask her to ring Elizabeth Morris when she does come home. Yes, thank you. Thank you very much.

[...]

Liz Morris: Where's Gillie?
George Bailey: Late, I suppose.
[they enter the library]
Liz Morris: She's never been late before.
George Bailey: Well, she is now, isn't she?
[Mr. Stubbs enters]
Stubbs: Ah, good morning George.
George Bailey: Morning, Mr. Stubbs.
Stubbs: Morning Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: Morning Mr. Stubbs.
Stubbs: Morning Gillie.
Liz Morris: She's not here.
Stubbs: What? Well, is she ill or something? Well, don't worry, Miss Morris. There's an awful lot of flu about, you know.
[she picks up the phone]
George Bailey: I don't know what you're worried about, she's only five minutes late.
Liz Morris: Ah, hello. Uh, it's Elizabeth Morris again. Uh, tell Gillie not to worry about not returning my call last night. If she's not feeling well, she... It can't be. Well, have you told anybody? The police, of course! Well, I know she only lodges with you, but aren't you at all concerned about... No. No, don't worry, I'll do it. Thank you.
[she hangs up]
Stubbs: Miss Morris? What's the matter? What is it?
Liz Morris: Gillie. She didn't come home at all last night.
Stubbs: Well, that's impossible. I mean, Gillie's a good girl. A nice girl.
Liz Morris: I know.
[she takes one of the circulation cards from the front desk and picks up the phone again]
Liz Morris: Police.

[...]

[one of the officers questions Miss Morris in the library]
Liz Morris: Well, he was youngish. About 25. Tall, well-built. Handsome in a way. And wearing uniform. You know who he is, this is his card.
Supt. Cramer: Well, that may not be his, you see. That might be stolent.
Liz Morris: Oh.
Supt. Cramer: Anyway, you definitely saw him talking to Gillian Randall?
Liz Morris: Definitely. They, uh, were right across the street, and they talked, and then they went off together. I can't understand it, because I mean Gillie is such a level-headed sort of girl. She's not the kind of girl--
Supt. Cramer: Most women are unpredictable, Miss Morris. All women. Right, well there's just one more thing.
[he takes a woman's shoe out of his satchel]
Supt. Cramer: You recognize that?
Liz Morris: Oh my god, she's dead, isn't she?
Supt. Cramer: Now, at the moment, she's missing. Now that is all we know.
[the phone rings, and Miss Morris doesn't answer so the officer picks up]
Supt. Cramer: Hello? Yes Sergeant? Yes? Right. Well, you know what to do. I'll be back as soon as I can, goodbye.
[he hangs up, then takes the card from Miss Morris]
Supt. Cramer: Sergeant Gerry Masters. He's on leave at the moment, has been for the last couple of days. He's not expected back until next week. And nobody knows where he is. Or where he's staying, he might be anywhere.
Liz Morris: Well, that makes me the only witness, doesn't it? I mean, I'm the only one who can identify him.
Supt. Cramer: I shouldn't worry, Miss Morris. Getting rid of witnesses only happens in America.

[...]

George Bailey: It's not the same without Gillie, is it? I never thought I'd miss her this much.
Liz Morris: George, the key. The spare key. You'd better have it, just in case.
[she gives him the key]
Liz Morris: Well, I may be late in the morning, I'm not feeling very well.
George Bailey: Well, that's more sensible. I've been telling you for months. I knew you'd come round to my way of thinking eventually.
Liz Morris: It's just a temporary measure, George.
George Bailey: We'll see. Goodnight, Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: Goodnight.

[...]

Mother: What's the matter with you? You look as though you've been running.
Liz Morris: I have.
Steve Kerroway: Somebody chasing you?
Liz Morris: I thought there was, yes.
Mother: Oh, if you don't half-exaggerate!
Liz Morris: Well, he does attack women, doesn't he? And I am a woman, aren't I?
Steve Kerroway: Oh, I think he prefers 'em a bit younger, though. If the papers are to be believed. And I doubt that, two murders and they always try and link 'em together and make a panic--
Liz Morris: Three.
Steve Kerroway: What?
Liz Morris: There have been three murders.
Mother: Three? Is it in the paper? Hope you brought me one tonight!
Liz Morris: No I didn't. It isn't in the papers, anyway.
Steve Kerroway: How do you know then?
Liz Morris: Police told me.
Mother: Police?
Steve Kerroway: What?
Liz Morris: Well, more or less. Gillie didn't turn up today.
Steve Kerroway: Who's Gillie?
Liz Morris: A young student who's been helping out at the library. You must've seen her the other day when you came in.
Steve Kerroway: Can't say I noticed, no.
Liz Morris: Well, she didn't turn up today and she hasn't been home all night. And the police found one of her shoes down by the river.
Mother: Oh my god.
Liz Morris: They're dragging it now.
Steve Kerroway: They haven't found her yet?
Liz Morris: Well if they'd found her they'd hardly still be searching for her, would they?
Steve Kerroway: Aw, she'll probably turn up then, minus a shoe and with some silly story.
Liz Morris: That's why I was running, you see. I thought he was behind me.
Mother: Who?
Liz Morris: The killer. The man that Gillie went off with last night.
Mother: Oh Liz!
Liz Morris: I saw him quite clearly, I'd know him again.
Steve Kerroway: Star witness, eh? You can put the finger on the man responsible... We'll have to take care of you Liz, won't we? I'm going out. You'd better lock the door after me.

[...]

[Miss Morris finds the books that Masters checked out on her desk]
Liz Morris: These books! Who brought these books back?! These books were not here last night, somebody's returned them this morning, now who?! George, you opened up! The man who brought these books back, when was he here?!
George Bailey: I didn't see anybody return them.
Liz Morris: You must've done!
George Bailey: Look, I haven't been here the whole time, I was down in the history section checking some books in down there. Anyway, there's been a dozen or more people in and out of here all morning.
Liz Morris: This would be an American airman, in uniform!
George Bailey: No, I haven't seen anybody like that.
Stubbs: Just a minute, Miss Morris. Uh, yes that's right. There was a young man in here, just a few minutes ago. I couldn't see him very clearly, but I was aware of him. And he, yes that's right, he did go over to your desk there.
Liz Morris: Yeah, and then what?
Stubbs: Well, he... uh, then he went down over there.
George Bailey: No, he can't have gone down there. I told you, I was down there the whole time checking in books. Now what is all the fuss about, anyway?
Liz Morris: The man who brought these books back is the man who murdered Betty. And probably Gillie too.

[...]

Stubbs: Miss Morris, would you like me to stay awhile? I could walk part of the way home with you, if you'd like.
Liz Morris: No thank you, Mr. Stubbs. He only attacks young women. Very young, as was pointed out to me.
Stubbs: I see. Well, goodnight then.
Liz Morris: Goodnight, Mr. Stubbs.
Stubbs: Goodnight George.
George Bailey: Oh, goodnight Mr. Stubbs.
[he leaves]
George Bailey: I could see you home too if you'd like, Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: No thanks, George.
George Bailey: I'd feel safe with you. Well, see you in the morning, then.
Liz Morris: George. I'm completely recovered now. I shall be here on time in the morning.
George Bailey: Yeah, me too.
Liz Morris: You misunderstand me, George. The key. The key I lent you. It won't be necessary for you to have it anymore.
George Bailey: Well, wait a minute. You said that I could--
Liz Morris: I said it was a temporary measure! I distinctly remember saying that!... Now, the key. Please, George.
George Bailey: You like to humiliate me, don't you? It helps you to hit back, doesn't it? Because you're well on the way to becoming a dried-up old spinster!
Liz Morris: Not becoming, George. I am... Now, the key, if you please.
[he takes the key out of his pocket]
George Bailey: I, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that.
Liz Morris: Oh, it's your opinion. Apparently, you're entitled to it.
George Bailey: But I can hit back too, y'know. Well, you'd be surprised what I could...
[he puts the key on her desk]
Liz Morris: Thank you, George. And I think it would be best if you start looking for a new job next week.
[he takes the key and throws it across the room, then knocks all the books off her desk and pushes a bookshelf down]
Liz Morris: In fact, I don't think you'd better come in here anymore. At all.
[she bends down to pick up the books, and George goes into her purse and takes her key]
Liz Morris: Goodbye, George.
[he leaves and locks the door from the outside]

[...]

[locked in the library, Miss Morris finds Gerry Masters hiding in the backroom, so she tries hiding on the second floor]
Gerry Masters: Miss Morris, let me explain. Miss, Miss Morris, I know what happened to Gillie. Look Miss Morris, if you just give me a chance to explain. Miss Morris, I know what happened to Gillie. Miss Morris, if you'd just come out and give me a chance to explain, I'm not gonna hurt you. I just wanted to have an opportunity to look through George's desk. Miss Morris? Oh for cryin' out loud, Miss Morris. Just gimmee a chance to--
Liz Morris: No! You won't get me!
Gerry Masters: Look Miss Morris, let me explain.
Liz Morris: No!
[he starts climbing the stairs, so she grabs books off the shelf and throws them down at him]
Gerry Masters: Miss Morris, I just wanna--
Liz Morris: Not me! Gillie and Betty, not me!
[he falls backwards, then she pushes a bookshelf off the second floor and crushes him]
Liz Morris: Not me! Not me!

[...]

[Gillie reveals herself to be alive at the police station]
Gillie Randall: And that's why I decided to go along with Gerry Masters. He was waiting for me that night, that was the day after Betty was killed, and he told me the whole thing.
Supt. Cramer: What did Masters tell you?
Gillie Randall: Oh, that he'd been seeing Betty. That he had a date with her the night she was murdered. He was supposed to meet her down by the bridge.
Sergeant Truscott: Where it happened.
Gillie Randall: Yeah. Well he was a minute or two too late, got there, found the body and ran.
Supt. Cramer: Well, why?
Gillie Randall: He's a married man.
Supt. Cramer: We know that, Miss Randall.
Gillie Randall: Yes, but that's the point. Because he's a married man, he told Betty not to say anything about him to anyone.
Sergeant Truscott: Did she?
Gillie Randall: No, no. But she did say when and where she was meeting him. Well, I was there when she said it. Look, don't you see? We were in the library when Betty said it, and then later that night someone was waiting for her. Someone who knew exactly when and where she'd be.
Supt. Cramer: Who else was in the library when she said this?
Gillie Randall: Um, it was me, Liz... Miss Morris, that is. Old Mr. Stubbs, and George.
Supt. Cramer: George?
Gillie Randall: George Bailey. He works there. He's, uh, he's kind of weird.
Sergeant Truscott: And you think George...
Gillie Randall: Well, it's possible. And that's why I agreed to drop out of sight and pretend to be a victim. To worry him, perhaps force him into doing something.
Supt. Cramer: And that was Masters' idea?
Gillie Randall: Well, yes. But I went along with him--
Sergeant Truscott: Perhaps you did force him into something. Another girl was killed, you know that.
Gillie Randall: Yes.
Supt. Cramer: You may have been very lucky, Miss Randall. You've certainly been very stupid.
Gillie Randall: Look, the more I thought about it, about George and his attitude--
Supt. Cramer: Yes well, we'll deal with him later. Meanwhile, where is Gerry Masters?
Sergeant Truscott: You're an accessory now, Miss Randall.
Supt. Cramer: Where is he?
Gillie Randall: He, he's in the library.
Supt. Cramer: What?
Gillie Randall: Well, he was going to go there, hide away until the place closed and then search George's desk.
Supt. Cramer: Gerry Masters must have a very persuasive personality.
Gillie Randall: Yes, but he's not a killer! I'm sure of that! Look, it was George, he's the only one who could... Oh, I've just remembered something.
Supt. Cramer: What?
Gillie Randall: There was someone else there, it was another man.
Supt. Cramer: Well, who?
Gillie Randall: His name's Steve something, and he lodges at Miss Morris' house.

[...]

Mother: Steve? It's getting very late.
Steve Kerroway: Hm?
Mother: Well, where's Liz?
Steve Kerroway: Yes, it is rather late, isn't it? Do you want me to go and meet her?

[...]

[Mr. Stubbs unlocks the library and enters, where he finds Miss Morris crying at her desk]
Liz Morris: Mr. Stubbs...
Stubbs: Miss Morris? What's happened here? Why are you still here? I thought you'd gone and forgotten your key or something.
Liz Morris: [crying]
Stubbs: What is it? What's the matter, what's wrong? What? What? What's wrong, what is it? Hm? What?
Liz Morris: Man...
Stubbs: What? What man?
Liz Morris: Man.
Stubbs: Man?
Liz Morris: Who tried to kill Betty. And Gillie.
Stubbs: Where?
Liz Morris: Here.
Stubbs: Where is he? Where? Where is he? Hm?
[he sees Gerry Masters under the broken bookshelf]
Liz Morris: He would've killed me... I had to.
Stubbs: Have you... Phoned the police, have you? Phoned the police, hm?
Liz Morris: No. I had to, he would've killed me.
Stubbs: Yes.
[he picks up the phone]
Liz Morris: Why did you come back?
Stubbs: Huh? Oh, I... forgot my glasses. Forgot my glasses.
[he dials]
Stubbs: Yes, police? I'm speaking from the Penbury Library. My name, my name is Stubbs, yes. There's been some trouble here. Well yes, get a car over here as quickly as you can, yes. Hm? Well of course, I'll stay here with Miss Morris until you come, yes of course I will. Just hurry up, will you? Yes, as quick as you--
[she looks down and sees that his finger is still on the switchhook]
Stubbs: Oh, Miss Morris.
Liz Morris: This filth...
Stubbs: Miss Morris, I... I really do...
[she starts to back away]
Stubbs: Really, I like... to look at a pretty girl. My, my only pleasure. Y'see, I never got married, you see. And I like young, young people.
Liz Morris: You! It was you!
[she starts to run, and Stubbs chases her]
Stubbs: Miss Morris, I... I like you too, but you see, in a different way. I really mean it, that's what makes it such a pity.
Liz Morris: No!
[he corners her near the bookshelves, then starts to strangle her]
Stubbs: It's necessary! Necessary! Necessary!
[the police barge in and grab him, as Steve follows closely behind]
Stubbs: No! No! No!
Steve Kerroway: Liz? Liz!
[she emerges from behind the shelves, massaging her neck]
Liz Morris: He had to come back for them... Tried to kill me. Because I'm a woman. A very desirable woman. See?

No comments:

Post a Comment