Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Case Study No. 1473: "The Librarian and the Principal"

The Librarian and the Principal
5:55
Ms. Librarian works hard to show Principal X the value the library brings to the school.
Tags: xtranormal
Added: 2 years ago
From: elachac
Views: 109

[scene opens with a young female librarian (brown hair in a bun, earrings, pearl necklace, blue blazer, black dress, nylons, black high heels) speaking with the male principal in the school library (as Christmas decorations can be seen in the background, including a dry erase board with "Ho Ho Ho! Party Tonight!!" written on it)]
LIBRARIAN: Good afternoon, Mister X. I wanted to tell you how impressed I am with the improvements you have helped bring about in the students' test scores.
PRINCIPAL: Thanks, Miss Librarian. It's kind of you to mention.
LIBRARIAN: I know you are busy, so I appreciate this opportunity to share some of my ideas with you. I believe that I can work with the teachers to help them meet their curricular goals, plus continue to see increases in our students' test scores.
PRINCIPAL: Oh, really?
LIBRARIAN: Indeed. Are you familiar with the Colorado studies performed by Keith Curry Lance? In a series of longitudinal studies, he proved that having active school libraries actually improved standardized test scores.
PRINCIPAL: That is interesting, but of course ... we are not in Colorado.
LIBRARIAN: That is true. However, I believe our school can enjoy similar success when the library and classroom teachers work together.
[she motions towards the center of the room]
LIBRARIAN: For example, you see here in the library some projects completed by the fifth graders studying food chains. After viewing the curriculum standards, I worked in collaboration with their classroom teacher to teach the students how to research food chains, such as by reading about what plants and animals are found in different eco-systems. Using inquiry learning, the students created their own representations of what they learned, such as mobiles and posters.
[he looks around the room]
PRINCIPAL: These are great projects ... Gee, I love to see examples of students' work. Where did the kids get their information?
LIBRARIAN: From a variety of sources. For example, we have copies of National Geographic Magazine here in the library, and the children also used encyclopedias in book form and on the computer. We also have a wide range of books on different animal species in the library.
PRINCIPAL: Interesting ... and what teachers did you work with?
LIBRARIAN: This project was with the fifth grade, but based on how successful it was, I have since received requests from the fourth grade teachers to do a different project this month. Also, because the students were working on their projects in the library, I have noticed an increase in books borrowed during that time frame.
PRINCIPAL: That is a lot of books!
LIBRARIAN: Yes, and as students read independently, there tends to be improvement in all literacy skills. In an effort to increase the childrens' interest in reading, I am also establishing an after-school book club. I told the children they are welcome to attend, even if they did not read the book, because listening to others talk excitedly about a book can be a powerful force in choosing to read a book yourself!
[she nods her head]
LIBRARIAN: I am sure that this book club also accounted for some of the increase in circulation.
PRINCIPAL: Interesting ... Getting back to that research project, did you say that the fourth grade teachers also want to collaborate? Does that include Mister Unwilling?
LIBRARIAN: Why, yes it does. Once Mister Unwilling saw the success of the fifth grade class projects, he wanted to take advantage of the library for his class, too. The fifth grade teachers told me that Mister Unwilling asked them about their experiences before he was willing to try collaboration with me.
[she nods her head]
LIBRARIAN: I am sure if you speak with the fifth grade teachers, they would be happy to tell you whatever they told Mister Unwilling.
PRINCIPAL: I have to admit that I am very impressed that you found a way to work with Mister Unwilling ... Maybe I should talk to all the teachers about their experiences in the library.
LIBRARIAN: During this research project, another idea came to mind. I think it would be useful to arrange a visit by the librarian from the local public library. They also have materials the students can use for class work, so perhaps if we create those connections for the students, they will venture there on their own. For example, the public library has far more books on animals than we do.
PRINCIPAL: And will this librarian charge us anything for a school visit?
LIBRARIAN: Oh, no. The public librarians consider school visits a part of community building, and they are happy to do it.
PRINCIPAL: I sure like the idea of our school being viewed as an integral part of the community ... Go ahead and schedule it, but please get me the details on the visit.
LIBRARIAN: I have one more thing I would like to discuss with you, Mister X, if you do not mind ... I have some ideas regarding professional development for the teachers. With your permission, I would like to hold some workshops in the library. I have experience with integrating smartboard technology into the classroom that I think our faculty might appreciate. Another seminar would focus on Web 2.0 applications that can keep students engaged in learning, even after they leave the classroom.
PRINCIPAL: Hmm, professional development for my teachers for free ... Sounds good to me!
LIBRARIAN: I am so glad to hear you say that! I will put together a proposal and get it to you shortly.
PRINCIPAL: Well, Miss Librarian, this has been interesting ... but I must run off to a budget meeting. Was there anything else you wanted to say?
LIBRARIAN: Just one thing ... I hope this has been both helpful and informative. I would like to invite you to pop into the library anytime and observe the children and the learning in progress. I know you are very busy, so to save you time, I will prepare regular updates on what we are doing in the library. If you appreciated the success stories we chatted about today, I hope to share even more with you soon. Thanks again for your time.
PRINCIPAL: You're welcome. Thank you too, for helping me better appreciate how you can help our students, our teachers, and our school!
[she raises her arms in triumph]

The Problematic Principal
Case solved by the Lipstick Librarians
Movie by Edith LaChac

No comments:

Post a Comment