Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Case Study No. 1459: Staff of the Mercy (Saskatchewan) Public Library

LMOTP - S05E08 - Every Thorne Has A Rose - P1
11:05
Amaar and Rayyan learn that Rev. Thorne has fallen in love with the local librarian and Rayyan's interfering, against Amaar's advising her to stay away, may sabotage the budding romance.
Tags: LMOTP Season 5 Every Thorne Has a Rose Mydien
Added: 2 years ago
From: Mydien123
Views: 3,944

[Amaar and Rayyan are walking down the street (wondering why Reverend Thorne wasn't in his office earlier), when they notice him picking flowers in front of the library]
AMAAR: The heck is he doing?
[while they're looking at the Reverend from across the street, Joe sneaks up behind them]
JOE: Snooping, eh?
AMAAR: No, of course not.
RAYYAN: No.
JOE: No, I'm not judging ... I was snooping on you two.
RAYYAN: Why?
JOE: Cable's out. So, just go about your business, but if you could, just speak up a bit.
AMAAR: Joe, we are not snooping on Thorne.
[as they're talking, Thorne walks into the library with his new "bouquet"]
JOE: Not anymore, he just went into the li-bary ... He's more interesting to watch than you two. Sadly, I can't go to the li-bary. I'm banned.
AMAAR: Snooping?
JOE: Late fees. Seven years goes by fast.
AMAAR: What was the book?
JOE: That was the book ... "Seven Years Goes by Fast."
[he holds up a copy of "Seven Years Goes by Fast" by Friskie Cody]
JOE: It's, uh, it's a week overdue ...
RAYYAN: I kinda wanna know what he's up to ...
AMAAR: No--
[she heads for the library, and Amaar reluctantly follows]

[...]

[inside the library, the two are hiding in the stacks as Reverend Thorne is sitting at a table (apparently pretending to read in order to appear inconspicuous)]
RAYYAN: [whispers] What's he doing?
AMAAR: I keep asking you that, do you expect me to have an answer?
RAYYAN: No, but ... what's he doing?
AMAAR: Why don't we just ask him?
[he starts walking towards Thorne, but she wildly motions for him to come back]
RAYYAN: You just wanna ask the liar why he's lying?
AMAAR: Ya think he'll lie?
RAYYAN: It's possible.
[Thorne gets up and starts walking towards the female librarian at the circulation desk]
AMAAR: Books, libraries ... suspicious!
[the librarian (who is looking through a book and doesn't notice Thorne) turns away before he has a chance to say anything, so he quickly sits down at a different table]
[cut back to Rayyan, who takes the opportunity to grab the stack of books that he had been "reading" at his original table]
[cut back to Amaar hiding in the stacks, as she returns with the books and starts looking over the titles]
RAYYAN: "High Speed Flight," "A History of X-Rays" ... "Working with Spandex"?
AMAAR: Is it possible he's Superman?
[cut back to Thonre, who (after crossing himself) again attempts to walk up to the librarian and hand her the flowers]
AMAAR: Ooh, it could have something to do with those flowers ...
RAYYAN: Oh, look at that!
[right before Thorne can get to the circulation desk, a little boy cuts in front of him, so he pretends like he's looking at his watch and walks away ... right into a wall]
[cut to the librarian, who looks up at Thorne, so he pretends like he was just reading the poster on the wall (as if nothing had happened)]
THORNE: Garage ... still.
[he quickly walks away]
RAYYAN: Thorne has a crush on Rose.
AMAAR: Every Superman has his kryptonite ...

[...]

[Amaar confronts Reverend Thorne in his office]
AMAAR: I saw you staring at Rose.
[Thorne gives a nervous laugh]
THORNE: What? No, no no no no ... She's so beautiful. She's a vision in sensible footwear. Her face, her hands, her smile.
AMAAR: Yes, she has all her parts.
THORNE: And she's so smart, y'know? Last week she told Misses Wasbinski that the autobiographies were in the 921s, not the 923s ... I was swooning!
AMAAR: Wow, Thorne in love. I never woulda guessed it.
THORNE: What, you think I have no feelings? I'll have you know that I cried myself to sleep when I was kicked off the debate team. I had a habit of saying "touche" too much.
AMAAR: Okay, so you like her, but if you were planning on getting her flowers--
[Thorne clears his throat]
THORNE: No, it hadn't crossed my mind.
AMAAR: You should probably pay for them.
THORNE: What're you, Magnolia PI? Any other advice?
AMAAR: Just follow your heart.
THORNE: [pause] Touche.

[...]

[Amaar returns to Rayyan to report on his conversation with the Reverend]
AMAAR: Oh, I spoke to Thorne.
RAYYAN: What did you tell him?
AMAAR: Well, I told him to follow his heart.
RAYYAN: Follow his heart? That's terrible advice.
AMAAR: Well, it was either that or wish upon a star.
RAYYAN: This isn't funny.
AMAAR: Look, he's a grown man, he likes her, they're not Muslim. He's in the clear.
RAYYAN: Rose is my friend. She's vulnerable, she's sweet ... a little weird.
AMAAR: Thorne is vulnerable. Did you know he cried when he got kicked off the debating team?
RAYYAN: [pause] Touche.
AMAAR: I just told him to follow his heart.
RAYYAN: That's not like following a human heart. That's like following an orc heart, to Mordor.
AMAAR: I had no idea.
RAYYAN: That Rose is my friend?
AMAAR: No, that you're such a "Lord of the Rings" nerd.
RAYYAN: Just tell him to un-follow his heart.
AMAAR: It's not my place to interfere.
RAYYAN: Hmm, then I guess it's mine. I will protect her precious heart.
[he hunches down and begins doing a Gollum impression]
AMAAR: So precious ...
[he smiles and starts to walk away]
RAYYAN: They were brilliant films, okay?
AMAAR: Nerd alert!

[...]

[Reverend Thorne is again sitting in the library (working up the nerve to give Rose a bouquet of flowers), when Rayyan stops him]
RAYYAN: Reverend! We need to talk.
THORNE: Not now, Rayyan. I'm following my heart.
RAYYAN: Yeah, I know what you're about to do, and it's wrong.
THORNE: What? Oh, roses for a girl named Rose? I know, but the only daisies in town are outside, and I promised Amaar I wouldn't steal anymore ... You're right, to hell with Amaar.
[he starts to get up]
RAYYAN: No wait, Reverend. Rose is ... so sweet.
THORNE: Well, that's putting it mildly.
RAYYAN: And she's simple, she's honest ... She's Lutheran.
THORNE: Actually, that won't be an obstacle. William of Orange was a Lutheran, and he became head of the Anglican Church.
RAYYAN: Really?
THORNE: Yeah. Read a book! Ideally, uh, this one ...
[he holds up a copy of "Famous Anglicans"]
RAYYAN: My point is, Rose is a small-town girl. She's never even been beyond Saskatoon.
[cut to Rose at the front desk, trying to get tape off of her fingers, then back to Thorne]
RAYYAN: You're a big-city guy who's always looking for an angle.
THORNE: So you're saying I'm ... wrong for her?
RAYYAN: Dead wrong.
THORNE: Because she's--
RAYYAN: So sweet.
THORNE: And I'm--
RAYYAN: You.
THORNE: [pause] Touche ... and once again, I'm off the team.
RAYYAN: You see, don't you?
THORNE: Of course. What was I thinking? I'm beneath her, I'm the dirt she treads upon. I dunno, I'm less than dirt, I'm sub-dirt. Worms shun me.
RAYYAN: Oh, I wouldn't say "sub" dirt ...
THORNE: You're too kind ...
[he gets up]
THORNE: Rayyan Hamoudi, I wanna thank you for keeping me from making a complete fool of myself.
[before he turns to leave, an elderly female librarian parks a book cart behind him ... which he promptly runs into and trips over]
RAYYAN: Oh!
[Thorne quickly picks himself up and leaves, just as Rose walks over towards Rayyan]
ROSE: Oh no, did Reverend Cutie run off again?
RAYYAN: Uh, yeah?
ROSE: Silly me, I keep thinking he's gonna ask me out. But that's my brain, rich fantasy life. As if someone like that would ask a girl like me out.
[Rayyan gets a shocked look on her face]
RAYYAN: You like him?
ROSE: Of course, who wouldn't? He's gorgeous, smart, bit of a bad boy ...
RAYYAN: Anglican?
ROSE: Wasn't a problem for William of Orange.
RAYYAN: I've heard that ...
ROSE: But back to reality. There are plenty more men in Mercy. There's Old Man Carruthers, his wife just passed. Then there's Young Carruthers, his wife just passed too ... Actually, I should probably steer clear of the Carruthers.
RAYYAN: I'm so sorry ...
ROSE: Don't worry, it's not your fault ...
[she walks away]
RAYYAN: How I wish that were true.

[...]

[Rayyan has returned to the library with Reverend Thorne, after convincing him to ask Rose out]
THORNE: How'd you talk me into this again?
RAYYAN: I told you to do it.
THORNE: [pause] You are good.
[Rose enters the scene and walks up to the circulation desk]
RAYYAN: Okay, there she is, just go for it.
THORNE: Okay ...
[he starts to get up]
RAYYAN: Oh, and Reverend, be nice but not earnest.
THORNE: Okay ...
RAYYAN: Oh, and be funny but not glib.
THORNE: Okay.
RAYYAN: Oh, and be charming but not smarmy.
[he hesitates]
THORNE: Uh, anything else?
RAYYAN: Quit stalling and get out there.
THORNE: Okay ...
[he sits back down]
THORNE: I can't, I can't! I'm overthinking it, I-I don't know what to say.
RAYYAN: Okay, okay, you just need an icebreaker ...
[she hands him a pile of books]
RAYYAN: Here, take these books out.
THORNE: Great.
RAYYAN: The rest will come natural.
THORNE: Okay, alright ...
[he takes a deep breath and tries to give himself a few last motivational words]
THORNE: Be nice, be nice ...
[he walks up to the circulation desk, as Rose (without looking up) addresses her next patron]
ROSE: Next ...
[she looks up and realizes that her next patron is the Reverend]
ROSE: Oh, it's you ... I mean, you know who you are. I'm me, you're you. Oh, hello you from me.
[he gives a nervous laugh]
THORNE: Uh, I need these books for a short time, and then I would like to return them so that someone else might enjoy them because ...
[he clears his throat]
THORNE: I'm nice.
ROSE: Oh, you've got a lotta books here ...
THORNE: Yes, I'm a very avid reader.
[she picks up the first book and reads the cover title]
ROSE: "The Extraordinary Adventures of Princess Pinky and the Protective Pony."
THORNE: Her, uh, adventures are pretty extraordinary ...
[she reads the title of the next book]
ROSE: "Bathing the Elderly".
[he gives another nervous laugh]
THORNE: Well, don't let those wrinkles fool you! They are very slippery ...
[she reads the title of the next book]
ROSE: Hitler's "Meink Kampf," in the original German ...
[she gets a nervous look on her face, as Thorne looks down and mumbles to himself]
THORNE: What section was I in ...
[he looks back at Rose]
THORNE: Uh, I'm going ...
[he walks away, as the librarian turns to Rayyan]
ROSE: Oh no, I blew it! "I", "me" ... What was I thinking? He knows that!
RAYYAN: You didn't blow it, I did. But I'm gonna make it up to you ...

[...]

[Rayyan has invited Rose to the parish hall (in hopes of making up for her past botched matchmaking), as the librarian and the Reverend sit awkwardly next to each other on a couch]
RAYYAN: So ... Rose, what do you like to do?
ROSE: I love collecting books.
RAYYAN: Ooh, books. That's a little solitary.
THORNE: Really, I-I was drawn to the Church by my love of reading.
RAYYAN: Mm hmm, we all love books, but don't you like anything else? Like, candlelight dinners or long moonlit walks?
THORNE: I-I actually kind of fear the moon.
ROSE: You're selenophobic too?
RAYYAN: Let's leave phobias for another time ... Hobbies! Everyone has hobbies!
ROSE: Oh well, I make miniature dollhouse furniture.
THORNE: I make miniature railroads!
ROSE: What scale do you use?
THORNE: One--
[they both say "Sixteenth!" at the same time, causing Rose to giggle excitedly, but Rayyan (oblivious to the connection brewing) sits down between them]
RAYYAN: Guys, can we focus? We're sort of all over the place here. Now--
AMAAR: [from off camera] Uh Rayyan, can I see you in here for a second please?
RAYYAN: Excuse me, sorry.
[she gets up to leave (as Thorne and Rose stare into each other's eyes), then cut to Rayyan and Amaar in the other room]
RAYYAN : This is a disaster.
AMAAR: And why do you suppose that is?
RAYYAN: The doll thing, the moon phobia ... There's a lot working against me here.
AMAAR: You're trying way too hard!
RAYYAN: I have to try, otherwise how are they gonna connect?
AMAAR: On their own, if you give 'em a chance! You're the problem, this is what happens when you interfere.
RAYYAN: You're right ... we could play the board game I brought!
AMAAR: No more interfering!
RAYYAN: A board game isn't interfering ... unless you play "Meddling!"
[they hear the sound of a door closing, then discover that Rose and Thorne have left]
AMAAR: They left.
RAYYAN: Oh great, now I hafta leave too. And I was really looking forward to "Meddling!"
AMAAR: Can you even hear yourself?

---

From wikipedia.org:

"Little Mosque on the Prairie" is a Canadian sitcom on CBC, created by Zarqa Nawaz and produced by WestWind Pictures. The series focuses on the Muslim community in the fictional prairie town of Mercy, Saskatchewan (population 14,000). The primary institution of the community are the local mosque, presided over by imam Amaar Rashid and located in the rented parish hall of the town's Anglican church.

---

From sidereel.com:

Every Thorne Has A Rose
Season 5, Episode 8
Original Airdate: February 21, 2011

Suspicious of Thorne's odd behavior, Rayyan quickly discovers that he's fallen for Mercy's quirky librarian, Rose (Sarah Allen). Despite Amaar's pleas for her not to interfere, Rayyan's matchmaking efforts almost sink the blossoming relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment