Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Case Study No. 1156: Pam Wohlsdorf

Teacher to shave head in honor of student for St. Baldrick's
2:02
Pam Wohlsdorf, a librarian at Grimsrud Elementary School, is shaving her head in honor of former student, Matthew Watson.

Watson, a St. Baldrick's honoree, died July 15, 2009, after a courageous five-year battle with neuroblastoma, a childhood cancer.

So far, Wohlsdorf has collected $4,904 to donate towards St. Baldrick's and childhood cancer research.

Check out the video to see what she has to say.

http://basinelectric.com/
http://basinelectric. wordpress. com/
Tags: Teacher shaves head in honor of student for St. Baldrick's Bismarck ND North Dakota Grimsrud Elementary School Pam Wohlsdorf Basin Electric Power Cooperative BEPC
Added: 2 years ago
From: pc2drth
Views: 850

["Teacher shaves head in honor of student for St. Baldrick's, 03.03.11" appears on screen, then cut to an older female librarian (still with her hair) being interviewed in the school library]
PAM: Um, and I'm doing it in memory of one of my former students. Matthew Watson, who was a student here at Grimsrud ...
[cut to another shot of Pam being interviewed]
INTERVIEWER: How has the story of Matthew, and what he went through, kind of helped prepare you for this?
PAM: It was the drive. I mean, it did. I have lost my dad, my brother, several family members to cancer. Uh, they were able to live a pretty good life, and when you see somebody that little, that brave, that talented ... it's just a sin. And if I can do anything to help raise just some more money--
[cut to another shot of Pam being interviewed]
INTERVIEWER: So, what've you been doing? Fundraising?
PAM: Yes, actually. I haven't been doing it on my own. Every student in this school, and their families, have been wonderful. They've been having, I have fundraised on my own, but they've been having fundraisers here.
[cut to another shot of Pam being interviewed]
PAM: Y'know what, it makes me feel awesome, because I can't believe the support that I've had. Y'know, people paying to see me shave my head, I tell them what I'm doing and why, and they give me money. And it's just awesome!
[cut to another shot of Pam being interviewed]
PAM: Some of them think I'm crazy, but then I tell them, it's not about me shaving my head. It's about research for childhood cancer.
[cut to another shot of Pam being interviewed]
PAM: Well, secretly, I've always wanted to shave my head!
[she laughs]
PAM: And so, I thought if I could help raise some money for this cause ... well, I hafta do it!
[cut to another shot of Pam being interviewed]
PAM: But, I'm just gonna go ... buy some bigger earrings, and maybe start to wear a little makeup.
[they both laugh]
PAM: Waddaya think about that?

---

From stbaldricks.org:

Pam Wohlsdorf
Participant ID: P-423273
Role: Shavee

This is my first year to join with Basin to raise money for childhood cancer. I am a public school librarian in Bismarck. I am fundraising in memory of a former student, Matthew Watson. Thinking back it's hard to believe I only knew Matthew one year. I was moved to his school as librarian one fall and it was the next summer I attended his funeral. I have lost my dad, brother and many other family members and friends to cancer but Matthew is the first child I knew personally and he really impacted my life. Thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment