Friday, October 25, 2013

Case Study No. 1076: Indy Pro Wrestler Paige Turner

Paige Turner Interview 8 16 2013
18:04
Interview with Indy Pro Wrestler Paige Turner (Texas)
Tags: Paige Turner wrestler wrestling interview texas Triple Threat Wrestling Radio
Added: 2 months ago
From: TTWRadio
Views: 122

KENNY CUMMINGS: What made you decide to be a professional wrestler?
PAIGE TURNER: Well, I started watching the WWE around 2000, and at first I thought it was kinda dumb, but my brother was watching it all the time and I started paying attention to it, and I thought it was kinda cool. And then I noticed that on one of the local channels, there was an indie show on there called NWA Southwest, and we started watching that. And at one point they had a kids' camp, I was fifteen at the time so I asked my parents, "Hey, can I do this kids' camp?" And they took me and I really enjoyed doing it and we did, like, we did a little show for the parents and the families and it was really fun.
KENNY CUMMINGS: What was that experience like? Going through the training, going through the boot camp learning these moves and things of that nature.
PAIGE TURNER: [pause] It hurt, I felt like I had whiplash the next day.
[she laughs]
PAIGE TURNER: I had trouble getting up in the morning.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Ouch. Um ...
[she laughs]
KENNY CUMMINGS: And did you have that mindset of "Oh my goodness, what did I get myself into?"
[she laughs]
KENNY CUMMINGS: Or you just wanted to pull through?
PAIGE TURNER: I think I did at first, that it was kind of scary ... uh, just letting yourself fall.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Mm. So, um, do you remember your first wrestling match that you ever had? And if so, who was your opponent or opponents, and what company did you work for?
PAIGE TURNER: Um, it was actually at a military base in Watson, Oklahoma ... and I wrestled Angel Blue one-on-one, and I was extremely nervous. I was pacing like crazy before the match, started just going over it and over it in my head. And it actually went really well, I was very happy with it. She was very happy with it, which I thought was really important, and so if she was happy I was happy.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Hey, that's what it's all about, when it's all said and done. I mean, obviously, there's gonna be a hostile crowd, but I don't think a lot of fans get that ... quite understand that it's very important for wrestlers to be on the same page when they are in the ring, regardless if they are heel or babyface. I mean, they have to look like they know, they have to look like they're kinda speaking a silent language without even talking to each other. They gotta know what moves they're gonna do towards each another, and I guess that's something that maybe some fans may get, but others don't quite get it.
PAIGE TURNER: Yeah, definitely.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Now, the state of Texas, I gotta say, is ... there's a lotta well-known wrestlers in that state. Um, and not just, y'know, the males, but the females. I mean, you mentioned Angel Blue. There's Brianne, there's Claudia, there's Athena. Uh, Barbi Hayden. Uh, Rachel Summerlyn which, from my understanding, she's retired. Uh, I feel like the state of Texas, not just known for the male wrestlers but known for the female wrestlers. And with that said, how does it feel, y'know, to get a chance to work with those women, being so close to the Texas area?
PAIGE TURNER: I mean, it's great. Texas is a really big state, so there's a lotta talent here. Um, and I mean, it's ... I suppose it's a close area, but some of it you do have to drive a couple of hours to get to it, but I'm very happy that I have all that talent to work with here, so I can learn better and get better, um, just from working them.
KENNY CUMMINGS: And it's also to see how, y'know, Texas has evolved as far as womens' wrestling is concerned. So, lemmee ask you this, what do you consider as the highlight of your career thus far? It could be a match that you had. Maybe astoryline, angle. Or anything in particular, what do you consider as the higlight of your wrestling career?
PAIGE TURNER: Um, that's a very good question. Lemmee think about this.
[she pauses]
PAIGE TURNER: Um, I would say so far, um, working with Athena. Just because she is so well-known, and she's very good, and she teaches me a lot. I learn so much when I work with her. I mean, she ... she works WSU, she works SHIMMER, so it's just, it's great to work with her because I learn so much.
KENNY CUMMINGS: I got a lotta respect for Athena, as well. She certainly has made a name for herself, not just in the womens' scene, but she also has made a couple of appearances in Ring of Honor, uh, so ... I mean, she-she's going places. And she's definitely, maybe she's the standard for womens' wrestling in Texas right now. I mean, would you say?
PAIGE TURNER: Yeah, I would say so. Definitely.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Of all the women wrestlers in Texas, you have a different style, as far as the way that you dress. Um, I've seen your photos, you look great ... You look like a librarian? I guess that's how you try to portray your character?
PAIGE TURNER: [pause] Yes.
[she laughs]
PAIGE TURNER: Um, yeah, that's where the name "Paige Turner" came from. I actually got it from a childrens' book I was reading, a book about a library, and it was in there. I'm like "Hey, that's a really cool name." And I'm actually a librarian as well, that is actually my job, and so I really enjoy putting that in there, because I do ... uh, shush the kids at work, and I take that into the ring with me as well. So, that's what I do.
KENNY CUMMINGS: That is very interesting. Um, not only are you a librarian character, but you're a librarian in real life. Not many people can say they portray something as a character in real life. Um, when you started this, was it kinda awkward for you or did it take some time to get used to?
PAIGE TURNER: Um, just wrestling a girl, or the character?
KENNY CUMMINGS: The character. Was it kinda awkward, per se? Because, I mean, that ... like you said, that's your real job.
PAIGE TURNER: Yeah, I just kinda had to figure out how to do it, because ... I know at first, I was like "Well, I don't really know what to do, what to make my entrance like." Uh, a lotta people helped me. Y'know, I shushed the crowd a lot. But yeah, it was kind of awkward at first, just trying to figure out what to take from my actual job, and taking it into the ring with me to make it work.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Well, all I can say is that you do it very well and ... um, and much props to you. Um, you obviously have wrestled throughout the Texas area and Oklahoma as well. Um, what do you consider some goals you'd like to accomplish? Would you like to do some more travelling, have more matches? Uh, like, what are some other goals you'd like to accomplish in your wrestling career?
PAIGE TURNER: Well, I definitely wanna have a lot more matches, um, to kinda help me ... Working a lot more people, working in front of a lot more crowds, I think will really help me grow as a wrestler. And I definitely wanna travel more, I would love to wrestle in every state if I could. I mean, I dunno if Alaska and Haw--
[she pauses]
PAIGE TURNER: Uh, Hawaii probably has it, too. But I would love to wrestle in every single state. And I would eventually like to be good enough to be at SHIMMER, WSU ... Uh, TNA. Something like that.
KENNY CUMMINGS: So, if you can have a dream match, and it could be against anyone. It could be male, it could be female ... uh, dead or alive, what would your dream match be? Who would your opponent be?
PAIGE TURNER: Hmm. Well, let's see. Uh, I know one of my ... Two of my favorite wrestlers are--
[she pauses]
PAIGE TURNER: Well, they don't really wrestle anymore, are Lita and Chyna, and I know Chyna kind of wrestles guys mostly. So, maybe Lita, I would think. Because I always loved her style, and unfortunately, I can't really wrestle like her, because I'm too afraid to do moonsaults and things like that, and to fly, but I think it would be really cool to have a match with her.
KENNY CUMMINGS: I like the sound of that, considering ... you know, Lita was a risk taker. She definitely breaks the mold of "You don't have to be more than just what you look or what you're perceived as." I mean, she definitely was opposite towards Trish Stratus, which was her biggest rival, and they worked with each other very well. And as for Chyna, I mean, she was a woman among men, just showing that, "Hey, woman can hang with the fellas too!" So kudos to them both. Now Paige, do you have any upcoming wrestling matches, or wrestling shows for that matter, that you would like to promote?
PAIGE TURNER: Um, yeah. Actually, next Saturday ... I can't remember the exact date. I think, oh, the Twenty-Fourth. Uh, I have a match at TOP, Texas Outlaw--
[she pauses]
PAIGE TURNER: Uh, I don't remember what the "T" stands for.
[she laughs]
PAIGE TURNER: But, um, it's in Mineral Wells, and that's against Diamond Icee. Um, I've never actually worked with her before, so I'm excited to work with her. And then, um, the week after that I am extremely excited because I get to wrestle in Arizona for the first time, at SlamU! And it's an "over-twenty one" show, so it should be really fun.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Over twenty one. Translation, anti-WWE "PG" crowd. They're gonna be, that sounds like it's gonna be a very crazy show right there. And SlamU!, that says it all. So make sure y'all go check that out, most definitely ... Uh, who do you consider influences in your wrestling career?
PAIGE TURNER: Um, let's see, definitely Chyna and Lita. Um, let's see. Uh, I really like Molly Holly ... I like the wrestlers, y'know? Not necessarily the, y'know, the models that go in there to shake and bump. I like women who wrestle, like, I like Natalya. I really like a lot of the women in SHIMMER, 'cause they're wrestlers. And y'know, I like a lot of the men, too. Uh, Dirty Danny Dalton's really good. Uh, Jiggilo James Johnson. Oh, Robert Evans is great. Uh, I like, y'know, I like watching all of them, and kinda learning from that.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Those are some awesome choices there. I-I'm a fan of them as well. Y'know, like you said, wrestlers. Regardless of nicknames, Knockouts, Divas, Superstars, they're wrestlers. That's what they do, that's their job description! To perform, to entertain ... And the big story in professional wrestling is Darren Young of the WWE putting it out there that he is gay. Um, my thoughts is "Good for him!" Um, long as he's comfortable within himself and he can do his job, conduct himself well, I mean people should only judge him for what he does in the ring and how he entertains. And you liked my status when I posted about that, and now that you've heard the story and everything, what was your reaction when you heard what Darren said?
PAIGE TURNER: Y'know, I was surprised, but I thought it was great! Y'know, really good for him that he's so comfortable enough to do that and brave enough to do that, and so happy that the WWE is fully supporting him and that he can talk to the kids about being who you are and not worrying about what others think of you, and I just thought it was really great!
KENNY CUMMINGS: And not just WWE but his colleagues, from Cena to Triple H to Stephanie to his tag team partner Titus O'Neil, the Prime Time Players ... Just embracing him and show their encourage--
[he pauses]
KENNY CUMMINGS: They show their support, I mean, because we all know wrestling, it's gonna be, it's a cold ... It's a tough business, and I guess my concern is what's gonna happen from here. He's gonna go to shows, and there's gonna be some idiots hitting him with the homophobic slurs, the anti-gay slurs. I mean, wrestlers, they-they're under a microscope as it is, and now that he put this out there, he's gonna be under a bigger microscope. But, I guess as long as he can just do his job, then I guess he'll do just fine. But, I guess my concern is how fans are gonna look at him goin' forward, I guess.
PAIGE TURNER: Yeah. Well, hopefully, it won't be too bad. And y'know, he'll ... I mean, I'm sure he'll just kind of take it with a grain of salt, because he's comfortable with who he is and he's not, it's not going to matter to him what they think. As long as, y'know, he's entertaining and he has great matches, I think it should be fine.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see if ... if they're still gonna be the Prime Time Players after this. Because, I mean, they're both "millions of dollars!" Attitude, swagger, things like that. Uh, it's gonna be interesting to see if they hang onto that or not. Well Paige, my last question for you is how can people get in touch with you social media-wise? Facebook, Twitter, or any other links people need to know.
PAIGE TURNER: Okay. Well, on my Facebook, it's "facebook dot com slash" and then "real dot paige dot turner." And then, um, my email address is the same, "real dot paige dot turner at gmail dot com." And then my Twitter, um, I really like the username for that one, because it's "PaigeTurner" and then "Shhh." It's S-H-H-H.
[she laughs]
KENNY CUMMINGS: That's a very clever Twitter name, PaigeTurnerShhh! You gonna, you gonna make me think of that Lori Beth Denberg character on All That!
[he laughs]
PAIGE TURNER: Y'know, I've actually been told that before! Not too long ago, that as soon as ... one of the referees, as soon as he saw what my gimmick was, that immediately came to his mind! And then he sent me the video, he posted it on my wall, and it's so funny!
[he laughs]
KENNY CUMMINGS: That, that's definitely gonna be poppin' up in my mind when I think of Paige Turner.
[she laughs]
KENNY CUMMINGS: But other than that, you are a sensational wrestler. Uh, and I wanna thank you for being on the show, and again, my apologies for my mishaps, so feel free to "shhh!" on me!
[she laughs]
KENNY CUMMINGS: Uh, but I wanna thank you for being on the show. Much respect to you, and best success goes out to you going forward.
PAIGE TURNER: [pause] I'm sorry, what was that last part?
KENNY CUMMINGS: Oh, uh ... best success goes out to you.
PAIGE TURNER: Oh, thank you so much, and thank you for having me on here.
KENNY CUMMINGS: You're welcome, you have a good night.
PAIGE TURNER: You too, thank you.
KENNY CUMMINGS: Alright, bye bye.
PAIGE TURNER: Bye.
[she hangs up]
KENNY CUMMINGS: That was Paige Turner, joining me here on Triple Threat Wrestling Radio.

---

From queensofwrestling.com:

Paige Turner

Hometown - Dewey, IL

Age - ??

Training - Lance Hoyt, Wally Darkmon

Debut - 2012

Height - 5'6"

Weight - 165 pounds

Special Moves - Dewey Decimator (Chokebomb),Senton, Fallaway Slam, Epilogue (Spinning Heel Kick), Spinning Neckbreaker, Samoan Drop

---

From blogspot.com:

Today we get only the second female to be Pinned Down but a very interesting one to be sure. Paige Turner is a librarian wrestler who truly has a Master's in Library Science. Smart and Tough, a deadly combo. This woman is well read and knows her stuff, if she can't out wrestle you, she will out smart you.

She was brought into wrestling by her siblings in 2000. They were hooked first and she thought it was dumb but as they watched more, and she paid more attention she begin to enjoy it. At 15, NWA Southwest was in North Richland Hills and had its own tv show, and then they put up an ad for a kids kamp. This would have been run by Hotstuff Hernandez and Mini Stuff now known as Hernandez and BJ Turner.

The camp was all day and taught you basic moves and bumps. They teamed you up with partners and Paige got BJ Turner, afterwords they put you in a show for friends and family. Paige had alot of fun according to her. Sadly it was not till years later, 2006, that she had the money and time to train. This was a PCW in Arlington and she trained with Lance Hoyt and Wally Darkmon, and while this was fun and she learned alot but her grades started slipping.

For awhile she focused on school and finished in 2010 with the Master's. She restarted her training in 2011 at MPX and stuck with it this time getting a few matches in 2012 and finally taking off in 2013 going out to other promotions and bringing the joy of reading to wrestling workers and fans everywhere. Though she is starting to make a name for herself, she knows she has more to learn and looks forward to it.

So how does a Master in Library Science answer random questions? Lets find out folks, READ ON!

1. What was the toughest thing to give up or sacrifice to be part of the wrestling world?
Definitely my free time. I've missed family birthday dinners and I haven't seen my non-wrestling friends in a while. One of my friends has a birthday coming up and scheduled her dinner around my schedule so I'm very happy about that.

2. Do you think its harder or just equally as hard to get to the big leagues of wrestling as it is say Basketball or Football?
I think it takes a lot of hard work to do either, but I think wrestling may be a little harder. In football or basketball, you just have to be really good. In wrestling, you have to look good, be good, and be able to cut promos. It's especially harder for the females because some places will take models who can't work over good workers just because they look better.

3. Do you feel that wrestling has more premature or just a surprising number of earlier than expected deaths compared to other sports and does this influence you in any way?
I would say so. It doesn't seem to be as bad as the music industry, but there is a lot of drug abuse. It doesn't really influence me because I stay away from drugs to begin with. There are also wrestlers that live a really long time and I plan to be one of them.

4. If you had the power to make any gimmick work, no matter how weird or normal it may be, what would you do?
Sadly, I do not have an answer for this question. I know somebody that has something ridiculous as a gimmick idea but I'm not going to steal it to put it on here.

5. If you could change anything about the indy wrestling industry what would it be? What about TNA/WWE?
I'm not really sure what I would change about the indy wrestling industry but I would love it if the WWE in particular took female wrestling more seriously. I get tired of seeing terrible female matches on there when there are so many talented female wrestlers in the indies that they could hire instead.

6. once you retire from being in the ring, do you see yourself walking away fully or would you become a manager or commentary or announcer, keep involved in some way or is it once you can't work in the ring you have no desire to be there?
I used to help run sound at PCW and MPX so I wouldn't mind still helping with that aspect. I think I would take a break for a bit and then probably still be involved in some way.

7. Do you handle crowds differently depending on size?
Not really, but I have noticed that it's more fun to mess with smaller crowds even though you're not going to get as loud a reaction.

8. How do you handle going from say going from a no rules wrestling show to a family first show. Do you change alot about how you handle things and what you say or do you just try and act the same no matter what the show?
I actually do not use profanity in my everyday life and my character isn't the type to be dirty, so I don't have to change anything I do.

9. Was there every a moment when you truly felt you had had enough, that maybe wrestling wasn't for you? Was it a crowd? Just one guy/gal? A losing streak? Too many broken bones?
When I was first training, I started getting really bad at both wrestling at school because I was always thinking about wrestling at school and school while trying to train. I felt like I was not going to get any better and really, school was more important to me so I decided to stop wrestling. I'm glad I had a place to train after I finished school and was able to start again!

10. Say you were picked up by TNA or WWE and given a over the top gimmick? How would you play it, go through the motions and hope it fails so you can move on to something better or really try to sell and play up the gimmick?
I would try my hardest to play up the gimmick. What's the point of making it on there if you're not going to try and do well?

11. What promotions do you feel are breaking down the walls separating Men Wrestling from Women Wrestling and just making it all Wrestling? How do you feel they are doing that?
ACW. I don't believe I've seen anywhere else that does that without the female being somebody the size of Chyna.

12. Do you feel tag team wrestling has become a dying style/art?
I've noticed a decline in tag team wrestling in the last couple of years. It's upsetting because I really enjoy it. I like real tag teams with matching gear and a tag team name. I think it's coming back a little bit though, especially around Texas. I know MPX is trying really hard to build their tag team division and I've seen flyers for other shows in the area where they are having tag team tournaments so I'm excited about that.

13. How is your campaign going to bring literary goodness to wrestling going? What is your next step?
It's not going too badly. People like buying my bookmarks and some have posted pictures of them actually in books so I'm excited about that. I'm not sure what my next step is at this point but hope to come up with something soon.

14. What are your favorite books and favorite writers?
I love Rick Riordan and DJ McHale. Neal Shusterman is pretty awesome as well. I love the Percy Jackson series and the Pendragon series. I am also a huge fan of most dystopian novels.

15. As a wrestler who has been to several promotions and a female what advice would you give to upcoming female wrestlers knowing that not all companies treat female wrestlers the same?
Don't be discouraged. Try looking up and contacting every promotion you can near you, especially if you see females on there. There are places that think female wrestling is a joke, but not all of them do.

16. What do you think of wrestlers who have written books?
I always think it's awesome when wrestlers write books, especially because wrestling fans who wouldn't normally read books take the time to read them. I've read a couple of wrestling autobiographies and have read all of Mick Foley's books (including fiction and children's), except for his most recent one, which I plan on reading soon.

Bonus Questions:

Do you have a name for your finisher?
The Dewey Decimator

Chocolate or Vanilla?
Chocolate milk, chocolate cake, vanilla pudding. I can't decide on the ice cream.

Submission or High Flying?
I love high flying. Even though I can't fly, I am a huge gymnastics fan and always love watching people wrestle that style.

Cats or Dogs?
I LOVE dogs. If I go somewhere and see one, I will immediately head over to it. That being said, I love my cat more than my two dogs because she loves to cuddle and is always in my lap. I also trained her to use the toilet and it still amazes me to this day every time she uses it.

Beer or Liquor?
I am straight edge, so neither.

Light Side or Dark Side?
I'm going to go with light even though it's fun to be the villain.

Favorite Opponent EVER?
I'm going to have to say Angel Blue. I had my first match against her and I always enjoy working with her. I love learning from her because she is one of the best heels I know.

A very unique perspective today, a rare worker that put something above wrestling first then still came back and finished what she started. She has one of the most cleverly named finishers I have heard of and has trained a cat to go to the bathroom.

She has a love of Dystopian novels and the Percy Jackson series. She even got The Great Depression to come to a book fair. Impressive stuff. While her choice of great heels is in doubt overall this was fun glance at a person who modeled life after art and vice versa.

No comments:

Post a Comment