Thursday, February 28, 2013

Case Study No. 0817: "Librarian Stereotypes"

Librarian Stereotypes
6:55
For a class assignment, 7 graduate students at Syracuse University made this mockumentary about librarians. We interviewed real librarians and used their answers for two of our interviews while using librarian stereotypes to create answers for the other two.

Who are the real librarians? You decide...
Tags: librarian syracuse stereotype cats mockumentary interview
Added: 2 years ago
From: tophile
Views: 1,161

Seven Syracuse University master of Library Science students set out to discover what librarian stereotypes exist.
The following interviews are dramatized.
Two are based on librarian stereotypes and two are based on fact.
Names and faces have been omitted to protect the identities and professional integrity of the people involved.
Who is a real librarian?
You decide ...

[scene opens with a female librarian (wearing a pink shawl and holding a pair of green sunglasses in her hands) being interviewed, as her head is out of the shot so as to conceal her identity]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] Why did you decide to become a librarian?
LIBRARIAN 1: Well, I have a master's degree in art history and ... I couldn't find a job. So, I found out that a lot of museums prefer their curators to have degrees in library science, so here I am!
[cut to a male librarian being interviewed in what appears to be a basement (the sound of a washing machine running can be heard in the background), as his head is also kept out of the shot]
LIBRARIAN 2: Okay, you want the truth? Honestly, I'm a failed writer, but also it's because I live here, so I need a job ... badly.
[cut to another female librarian (with her head out of the shot) being interviewed, as she holds a grey-and-white cat in her lap (the cat is wearing a paper tie around its neck)]
LIBRARIAN 3: Yes, say hi to the camera!
[the cat mews softly]
LIBRARIAN 3: Oh, I know, honey!
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] Why did you become a librarian?
LIBRARIAN 3: Well ... I love cardigans, Jane Austin, and of course my little Darcy-poo! Hi! Meow!
[cut to another female librarian (sitting at a computer desk and holding a book) being interviewed, with her head kept out of the shot]
LIBRARIAN 4: Well, I started studying practicing law, but I actually realized that I enjoyed researching it more.
[cut back to the librarian with the cat]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] What were people's reactions when you first told them that you wanted to be a librarian?
LIBRARIAN 3: Well, my friends told me I should start wearing my hair in a bun, and my mom told me that I would be an old maid one day, but I don't believe her.
[she hugs the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Hi, baby! Come on, it's okay!
[cut back to the male librarian in the basement]
MOTHER: [from off camera] Sweetie! Remember to put the socks in the dryer!
[he sighs and gets up]
LIBRARIAN 2: Alright ...
[cut back to the librarian at the computer desk]
LIBRARIAN 4: Well, they were really supportive, but ... um, my in-laws actually introduced me as a lawyer for about four years after I graduated.
[cut back to the librarian with the pink shawl]
LIBRARIAN 1: Uh, my family, especially my dad, was very supportive. Uh, they thought it would be a good idea ... y'know, anything to advance my career.
[cut back to the librarian at the computer desk]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] How did their reactions make you feel?
LIBRARIAN 4: Uh, it was funny to be introduced as a lawyer, but I'm just ... uh, I wanted to be more truthful. I'm a librarian, not a lawyer.
[cut back to the librarian with the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Well, my cats have been really supportive! Yeah, haven't you, baby? You wanna say hi?
[the cat mews softly]
LIBRARIAN 3: Hi! Hi!
[cut back to the male librarian in the basement]
LIBRARIAN 2: Well, my mom was really happy because I can finally move outta here.
[cut back to the librarian with the pink shawl]
LIBRARIAN 1: I felt really good. I mean, they've supported me through my master's program before, and they're continuing to do so now. So, yeah, I'm grateful.
[cut back to the male librarian in the basement]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] Do you have a cat?
LIBRARIAN 2: Honestly, cats don't like me very much ... I did have a dog pee on my leg once, though.
[cut back to the librarian at the computer desk]
LIBRARIAN 4: Unfortunately, I have allergies. I used to have a cat, but now I don't.
[cut back to the librarian with the pink shawl]
LIBRARIAN 1: Yes. Um, my parents gave me a cat to help me stop smoking ... I still smoke. It didn't work. I'm still trying, though, I'm still trying. Uh, but yes, I have a cat, and that's why I have a cat.
[cut back to the librarian with the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Yes! This one here is Darcy!
[she holds up the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Hi! Then over there is Lizzy ... and Jane and Bingley are around here somewhere. And Lydia and Wickham are in the carrier, but they don't really seem to come out of it that much. I really don't know why.
[cut back to the librarian at the computer desk]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] Before you became a librarian, what did you think a librarian was?
LIBRARIAN 4: Well, I had worked with law librarians during my undergrad, so I got a basic feel for what they do through that.
[cut back to the librarian with the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Well, my best friends were the public librarians at my local community library. They were always giving me book recommendations, and letting me use the circulation desk scanner ... It was honestly some of the best summers I had in high school! I never liked partying, give me a book anyday. But I realized that librarians, they are the best people in the world! They give you answers to questions, and they really make a child smile!
[she holds up the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: And of course, look! We get the best friends in the world, huh Darcy?
[cut back to the male librarian in the basement, who sighs deeply]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] You look really unhapp--
[cut back to the librarian with the pink shawl]
LIBRARIAN 1: Well, of course, I knew all the regular things, like they work with books and they work with catalogs. Um, I knew that they worked with users of the library a lot, because when I got my master's degree, they helped me with my studies. Um, yeah, that was my perception.
[cut back to the male librarian in the basement]
LIBRARIAN 2: Honestly, I didn't know what a librarian was. I knew they were behind the desk, with books ... some of them were kinda hot. That's basically it.
[cut back to the librarian at the computer desk]
INTERVIEWER: [from off camera] Now that you are a librarian, has your perception of the profession changed?
LIBRARIAN 4: Um, somewhat. I didn't actually realize that they could be so whiny ... but don't tell anyone I said that.
[cut back to the librarian with the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Not really ... Well, my librarians taught me everything I know, and they taught me what to look for. Basically, I know everything, because I am the best librarian in the world! And of course, Darcy is my number one supporter, and I bounce all my ideas off of him!
[cut to the librarian with the pink shawl]
LIBRARIAN 1: Well, like I said before, I did know that they already did a lot. Um, but I didn't know the variety of fields that they could go into. Um, I didn't realize that librarians worked for the CIA ... Um, originally when I got my art history degree, I didn't realize that a degree in library science would also be useful in that field either. So yeah, I learned that it's applicable to a lot of different fields.
[cut back to the male librarian in the basement]
LIBRARIAN 2: Man, I had no idea ... It turns out a lotta them are really old. I haven't met one hot librarian chick yet.
[cut back to the librarian with the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Hi, baby! Oh my goodness, you are so cute! Don't you love his tie? We spent hours picking it out! Doesn't it bring out the color in his eyes?
[she kisses the cat]
LIBRARIAN 3: Hi, baby!
[the cat starts to squirm]
LIBRARIAN 3: Honey, don't go away! Come on, it's okay, don't be camera shy ... baby!

From Dave Lankes' IST 511 class in Fall 2010:

Patty Alvayay
Tessa Brawley
Sara Hulka
Ryan Johnson
Allie Kowalski
Margaret Portier
Emily Weyant

And Lizzy as Mr. Darcy

---

From wordpress.com:

POSTED BY margaret portier

I have to say, the second rapid response assignment for 511 was probably the most fun I have had doing classwork since 6th grade when we did medieval day and got to wear costumes to school. My group made a video with "interviews" with two fake and two real librarians to kinda show the differences between the stereotype and the real thing. Coming up with the script was fun and then filming was HILARIOUS. There's even an outtake at the end because we were cracking up so much. Once filming was done, I got to learn how to edit a video. I can't tell you how excited we were when we realized we could add music to the introduction and the closing credits. Anyone recognize the song? That's right, it's Lady Gaga's Disco Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment