Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Case Study No. 0486: Booker T. Bookworm

Barney and Friend Books Are Fun!
27:09
Lyons Partnership
Tags: Barney and Friend Books Are Fun!
Added: 5 months ago
From: battybarney1995
Views: 68,166

[scene opens with Curtis in the school playground, reading a book with his stuffed toy Barney]
CURTIS: I never knew all this stuff about dinosaurs! Did you, Barney?
[he looks at the toy]
CURTIS: Oh yeah, I guess you would ... But did you know we've got to take all these books back to the school library today?
[he picks up a stack of books, then Barney]
CURTIS: Come on, we'd better get moving!
[cut to inside the school library]
CURTIS: Y'know Barney, I think the library might be my favorite place in the whole school! But when you're in the library, you should try to be quiet, okay?
[he puts the toy down on the shelf, but as he walks away, it transforms into the giant-sized Barney dinosaur, knocking down a row of books domino-style with his tail]
BARNEY: Whoa! Oh no, wait! No, stop! Oh!
[Curtis runs over and hugs Barney]
CURTIS: Barney!
BARNEY: Oh, hi there!
[a large yellow bookworm suddenly pops up from behind the front desk]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Y'know, if ya need help, it's much easier just to ring the bell ...
[he uses his tail to ring the bell on the desk]
CURTIS: It's Booker T. Bookworm!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Hiya, guys!
BARNEY: Oh, hi there, Booker T. ... Uh, sorry about making a mess in your library.
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, that's okay. Accidents happen.
CURTIS: Here are the books I borrowed.
[he puts the stack of books on the desk]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh great, didja like them?
CURTIS: They were great, Booker T.! I read about dinosaurs, and rockets, and how to build a real birdhouse!
BARNEY: Wow! And just look around the library! There are still lots of other books for you to read! Each with its own special surprise!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: That's right! Books make learning fun!
[Booker T. laughs, then Barney launches into the "Books Are Fun" song]
BARNEY: Books are fun! Books are great! Let's sit down with a book today. Books are fun! Books are great! Is it book time yet? Oh, I just can't wait ... to read a book!
[Curtis picks up a book and begins singing]
CURTIS: Do you know why I love to read a book? Why I get so happy every time I take a look?
BARNEY: 'Cause books can take me anywhere that I want to go!
CURTIS: Books help my imagination grow!
[Barney laughs, then continues singing with Curtis as they dance around the library]
BARNEY: Books are fun! Books are great! Let's sit down with a book today. Books are fun! Books are great! Is it book time yet? Oh, I just can't wait ... to read a book!
CURTIS: Books are fun to read. I love the pictures too.
BARNEY: I love to snuggle up and read with somebody like you.
CURTIS: All my favorite stories and many more to learn.
BARNEY: Good things come with every page I turn!
[they continue dancing around the bookshelves and singing]
BARNEY: Books are fun! Books are great! Let's sit down with a book today. Books are fun! Books are great! Is it book time yet? Oh, I just can't wait ... to read a book, book, book, book! To read a book, book, book, book! Read a book!
[as they finish the song, Barney laughs]
BARNEY: Oh, books can teach you things, or show you pictures, or tell you a story just for fun!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: That's why I never get tired of reading books! Heh, I only get tired of putting 'em back on the shelf!
BARNEY: Oh!
CURTIS: Wow, after reading so many books, Booker T. probably knows just about everything! I wish I could be more like him!
BARNEY: Oh, you do, do you? Oh, uh, Booker T.!
[he walks over to Booker T., who's carrying a book in his mouth before putting it down]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Yes, Barney?
BARNEY: With so many books to take care of, maybe you need ...
[he points at Curtis]
BARNEY: A helper?
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, good idea!
[he looks at Curtis]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: I could use a helper!
CURTIS: I'd like to be your helper!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, yes ... Uh, Curtis! You'd make a wonderful helper!
CURTIS: Great!
BARNEY: Oh boy!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: And I've got a job for you already ... Right there on Ashley's library card, there's a note with the name of a book she wants to borrow.
CURTIS: I'll find it! I'll find it just like you would, Booker T.!
[he takes the card and goes to the shelves]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Just like me, hmm! This I've gotta see!

[...]

[Barney and Hannah enter the library, as Booker T. is sorting some books on his desk]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, hello there! How may I help you?
HANNAH: I came to check out a book with my library card.
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, splendid! And uh, what did you have in mind?
HANNAH: Well, I like books with fun stories, and pictures!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Well, we got lotsa those! Oh Curtis!
[he rings the bell, and Curtis (now wearing a green bow tie and comically large glasses) pushes a bookcart up to the desk]
BARNEY: Oh!
HANNAH: Curtis is starting to look like Booker T.
BARNEY: [whispers] Y'know, I think you're right ...
CURTIS: Hannah, for fun stories and pictures, I highly recommend this book!
[he hands her a book]
CURTIS: Why don't you ...
CURTIS AND BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Check it out!
[they both laugh, as Curtis pushes the bookcart off camera, while Barney and Hannah just shrug it off and leave]

[...]

[Barney walks into the library, humming to himself and carrying a basket of muffins, when he sees what looks like the top of Booker T.'s head peeking out from behind one of the shelves]
BARNEY: Oh! There you are, Booker T.!
[it turns out to be Curtis wearing an orange knit beanie]
CURTIS: Mister Bookworm will be right back. May I be of assistance, Barney?
BARNEY: Oh, uh ... Sure! I brought some muffins for you and Booker T.!
CURTIS: Ah, thank you!
BARNEY: Oh, you're welcome! And I'd like to borrow a special book!
CURTIS: Certainly! I'm sure I can find just what you're looking for, just like Booker T. Bookworm!
BARNEY: Oh ...
[he dashes back down behind the bookshelf, but then quickly pops his head up again]
CURTIS: Oh, by the way, what book were you looking for?
BARNEY: Well, it's my favorite book of poetry! I'm sure you've got it ... It's about this big, and it's got all sorts of rhymes in it about all sorts of different things! Oh boy!
[cut to Barney reading from the book for the other children in their treehouse]
BARNEY: And now, "The Wiggle Worm!"
[he clears his throat]
BARNEY: "Oh, see the little wiggle worm, who crawls across the dirt. All pink and wet and wiggly ... Oh, I've got one down my shirt!"
[the kids laugh]
BARNEY: Oh, oh no! Oooh, that tickles! Oh goodness ... Ahem, and here's another poem called "Flowers."
[he clears his throat]
BARNEY: "Roses are red, violets are blue, but mostly they're flat, 'cause they're under my shoe!"
[he lifts up his foot to show a crushed flower, as the kids laugh]
BARNEY: And finally ... "Little Stinky is a skunk, a handsome littler feller. And you can find him anywhere, by following your smeller!"
[a little skunk tail pops out of the book, as the kids laugh]
BARNEY: Whoop! Oh, pee-you!

[...]

[Barney and the children enter the library to return their books]
BARNEY: Hi there, Booker T.!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, hello there! Ha ha ha, goodness me, the library is busy today!
HANNAH: We're returning the books we borrowed.
ROBERT: They were great!
BARNEY: They were!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Wonderful! I'll just have my assistant put these back on the shelves for other girls and boys to borrow.
[he rings the bell]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh, Curtis!
[Curtis (now wearing an orange sweater to complete his "bookworm" ensemble) pops up from behind the desk]
BARNEY: Curtis?
CURTIS: At your service!
ASHLEY: Curtis, you look just like Booker T.!
CURTIS: I do?
ROBERT: Maybe you should get out of the library and play with us for awhile.
HANNAH: Yeah, we miss you!
CURTIS: I miss you too, but I've got a job to do here at the library, just like Booker T. Bookworm!
BARNEY: Just like Booker T., huh? Uh, Booker T., I think I know another book that Curtis might like. Would you mind getting it for me? It's called ...
[he whispers in Booker T.'s ear]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Oh ... Oh, I see! Good idea, I'll be back in a flash!
[he goes underneath the desk, then quickly returns with a book in his mouth]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: I say, here it is, Curtis! Check it out!
[Curtis takes the book]
CURTIS: Certainly! What is it?
BARNEY: It's called "Be Yourself!" It's all about being the best person you can be, just by being yourself.
CURTIS: Oh ... Do you think I was trying too hard to be just like Booker T.?
BARNEY: Well, maybe ... yes.
ROBERT: Yeah, we like you the way you were, Curtis.
BARNEY: Oh, you don't need to change to be somebody special!
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: And you don't hafta be a bookworm to learn from books!
HANNAH: Booker T.'s right, we all learned things from books today.
CURTIS: Yeah, I think I did, too ...
[Barney takes him by the hands and starts singing]
BARNEY: You are special, you're the only one, you're the only one like you! There isn't another in the whole wide world, who can do the things you do!
[Barney sits him on top of a bookshelf, as everyone starts singing]
BARNEY: 'Cause you are special, special, everyone is special! Everyone in his or her own way! Oh, you are special, special, everyone is special! Everyone in his or her own way!
[Barney takes Curtis and dances him around the library, then begins singing again]
BARNEY: You're important, oh you really are, you're the only one of you! The world is better, just because you're here, you should know that we love you!
[everyone begins singing]
BARNEY: Oh, you are special, special, everyone is special! Everyone in his or her own way! That's right! Oh, you are special, special, everyone is special! Everyone in his or her own way!
CURTIS: Everyone?
BARNEY: Everyone in his or her own way!
[Curtis takes off the glasses, beanie, and bow tie as everyone cheers]
BARNEY: Yay! Oh, we've got the old Curtis back! Oh boy!
[cut to Curtis folding his "bookworm" clothes (including the sweater) and putting them on the table, as Booker T. looks on]
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Well, I guess I better go put some books back on the shelf ...
[he turns to leave]
CURTIS: Can I still be your helper, Booker T., even if I'm not just like you?
BOOKER T BOOKWORM: Of course, ha ha ha! You're the very best helper I've ever had!
[Barney and the other children cheer]
CURTIS: And y'know what? I think I've got the very best friends too!
BARNEY: Funny, that's just what I was going to say!

[...]

[cut to Barney speaking directly to the camera]
BARNEY: Hello again, to all my friends, I'm glad you came to play! Our fun and learning never end, here's what we did today!
[cut to various still images from the episode]
BARNEY: We borrowed books from the school library, with some help from our good friend Bookert T. Bookworm! Ashley checked out a book that taught her about butterflies. Robert likes books that show him how to make things, like an ocean in a box. And Hannah's book of rhymes was just for fun, even if it did make me hungry!
[he laughs]
BARNEY: In the library, you'll find books that you love, too!
[cut back to Barney as he waves to the camera]
BARNEY: And remember, I love you!

---

From wikia.com:

"Books Are Fun!" is the first episode of Season Five of "Barney & Friends." It originally aired on November 2, 1998.

Curtis and Barney return some books to the school library where they find Booker T. Bookworm, a literal bookworm (with orange skin, glasses, and a green bow tie) and the imaginary Librarian. Despite the fact that one is supposed to be quiet in the library, they burst into song. Booker T. helps find a book Ashley has been wanting to check out and Curtis and Barney bring it to her at the clubhouse. Everybody is excited so they all head back to the library to find more books.

While everybody is busy browsing the catalog, Curtis' obsessive enthusiasm for the library begins to have a weird effect on him. The gang blows it off and return to the clubhouse with their books, leaving Curtis behind.

When Barney and the kids get back to the library they find Curtis to have been transformed into Booker's assistant, complete with worm-suit, spectacles and nasal worm-librarian voice. Barney's a little concerned about this so he finds a book for Curtis to help break this zombie-like spell. Soon Curtis is back to his own special self.

Trivia
* This is Booker T. Bookworm's first appearance on the TV series, though he appeared earlier in the video "It's Time for Counting." He is voiced by Earl Fisher.

---

From wikia.com:

"The Library" is an original Barney song that first appeared in "Honk! Honk! A Goose on the Loose!." This song was also used as an underscore in "Be a Friend."

You can have an adventure in a far away land
You can learn about a tuba in a marching band
You can travel to the stars, or the deep blue sea
When you learn to borrow books from the library

But please don't be loud (shh!), so that everyone here can read
You will be proud when you take a book home from the library

You can have an adventure in a far away land
You can learn about a tuba in a marching band
You can travel to the stars, or the deep blue sea
When you learn to borrow books from the library

But please don't be loud (shh!), so that everyone here can read
You will be proud when you take a book home from the library

You can have an adventure in a far away land
You can learn about a tuba in a marching band
You can travel to the stars, or the deep blue sea
When you learn to borrow books from the library
When you learn to borrow books from the library

No comments:

Post a Comment