Friday, February 3, 2012

Case Study No. 0215: Veronica Mars (student library worker)

TVLib: Veronica Mars
1:04
Librarians in TV series:
Veronica Mars
Season 3, Episode 3
(Witchita Linebacker)
http://www2.warnerbros.com/ television/ tvShows/veronicamars/
Tags: Librarians Veronica Mars
Added: 4 years ago
From: tvlibrarian
Views: 3,586

From librarything.com:

In the third season of Veronica Mars, Veronica works at the information desk at her college library and a number of scenes take place in the library.

---

From imdb.com:

Veronica Mars ("Wichita Linebacker")
Season 3, Episode 3

Veronica is hired by Logan's cousin to help him find his stolen playbook before the next practice, or risk losing his scholarship.

As a result of the expose Veronica wrote about the campus sorority, Dean O'Dell threatens to expel her if she doesn't reveal one of her sources.

Logan tells Veronica his schedule is keeping them apart, but she realizes he has been spending time participating in illegal gambling. Meanwhile, Veronica convinces Keith to hire Weevil to assist with office work at Mars Investigations.

---

From vmtranscripts.com:

3.03 Wichita Linebacker

Written by: Phil Klemmer and John Enbom
Directed by: Harry Winer

Original Air Date: 17 October, 2006

[...]

INT - HEARST COLLEGE, LIBRARY - DAY.

[Veronica is at her desk in the library, writing in a ring binder]

VERONICA VOICEOVER: I wouldn't give Dean O'Dell my source. He gave me a week to change my mind.

[Veronica's thoughts are interrupted as an over-excited Piz bangs the bell on the help desk, which she is manning]

VERONICA: Piz! What are you doing here?

PIZ: Hey, Veronica. Uh, W-Wallace told me you worked at the information desk and...

VERONICA: You need some information? Okay. Slugs have four noses. That's what I'm offering today.

[Veronica returns to her books as Piz laughs politely before going on, a little desperate]

PIZ: I actually need more like a favour. My future mentor on radio, knock on wood...

[Piz demonstrates by knocking on the desk and then drops his voice down to a whisper.]

PIZ: ...has a boyfriend with a problem. I'm trying to impress her.

[Veronica gazes up at him sceptically. The scene shifts as the camera follows the back of one of the library's bookshelves before revealing Kurt, Trish, and Veronica sitting at one of the library tables. Piz is standing next to one of the chairs, leaning on the table.]

KURT: Our football playbooks aren't supposed to leave the athletic complex, but I missed a few meetings for a lecture...I needed to catch up, so I had it in my bag. We turn in each week's game plans and new plays on Mondays. If I don't have it, they're going to use it as an excuse to yank my scholarship. VERONICA: So staying on the team is worth five hundred dollars? Which is my fee.

[Piz leans over the chair and hits Veronica on the arm, offended.]

PIZ: That's what you charged me. You said it was your friends' rate.

VERONICA: It was my friends of friends' rate which have now extended to friends of friends of friends.

[Kurt holds up his hands, impatient with the bickering.]

KURT: Fine. I mean, I can't go to the cops, it would just be admitting I lost it...or worse, it was stolen.

VERONICA: Stolen, like, by another team?

TRISH: Or by someone who wants him off the team.

KURT: She's talking about my position coach. I was a big deal coming out of high school, started here as a freshman, but then I tore my ACL end of last season and now I don't see much playing time. As far as Coach is concerned, I'm just a waste of a scholarship.

VERONICA: So tell me about that night, every place you could've lost it, every person who could have taken it.

KURT: It was in my bag the whole time. I didn't have time to study it. I never unzipped it until today.

VERONICA: This bag?

[Veronica points to the backpack on the table.]

KURT: Yeah. I mean, I had it all night.

[...]

EXT - HEARST COLLEGE - DAY.

[Veronica crosses the road in front of a black Range Rover which turns around and honks at her. It pulls up and parks to next to her. It's Logan's new car - a black Range Rover.]

LOGAN: Hey!

[He jumps out of the car.]

LOGAN: So what am I? On a scale of one to ten?

[He locks the car remotely and joins her on the pavement.]

VERONICA: Uh, one. Seven? Four? Help me with some criteria?

LOGAN: Gentlemanliness?

[He kisses her and they walk on.]

LOGAN: Look how I resisted the impulse to make the so-called booty call last night.

[Veronica's grin is tight. Logan notices.]

LOGAN: What?

VERONICA: Just the other day, my dad was saying I had a thing for trying to reform unreformable bad boys.

LOGAN: What does that have to do with me? I'm reformable, good, and a man.

VERONICA: Dick said the class was a walk. You could have gone to the art thing.

LOGAN: Wait. Dick said what?

VERONICA: It was a walk. You know, the five-minute rule if the professor doesn't show.

LOGAN: Oh, Dick's idea of five minutes is like one. Ask Madison Sinclair. The professor showed.

VERONICA: You mind showing me the notes?

LOGAN: Forget it. You're hardly the first girl to be led astray by Dick.

[Logan spins around in front of her, bringing their walk to a halt.]

LOGAN: Hey, so you up for something tonight? Maybe Noam Chomsky's reading the Havana phonebook somewhere.

VERONICA: I'm stuck at work tonight. Maybe you could drop by.

LOGAN: Mm-hm. G-rated booty call in the library. Maybe I just will.

[The both laugh. Veronica pushes him on and they continue to walk on together.]

[...]

INT - HEARST COLLEGE, LIBRARY - NIGHT.

[Veronica is drafting an email, with the subject heading, "I Know What You Did...".]

VERONICA VOICEOVER: So how did people blackmail each other before email? Thirty years ago, I'd be here all night, cutting letters from a magazine and getting glue everywhere. Now it's just one button.

[The email is addressed to brian.popovich@hearstcollege.org. The parts that can be read state: "A good friend of yours, Kurt, if I'm not mistaken, is...suggest you return his playbook before you start lo...Most sincerely, The Retriever." Veronica clicks on the send button.]

VERONICA VOICEOVER: And I'm ready for my official boyfriend visit.

[A throat is cleared. Veronica looks up expectantly with a beaming smile. That fades when she sees that it's not Logan. Cut to a few minutes later as Veronica gets the student the last of the books he wanted.]

VERONICA: And last and not by no means least, Thorsten Veblen. Enjoy.

[The student takes the book and exits. Veronica's cell phone, which she has left on the help desk, is ringing. She returns to the desk and grabs it, checking the caller ID. She has a message from Logan. In the background of his message are the sounds of a party going on.]

LOGAN: Hey, it's me.

[Veronica smiles and sits down at the desk to listen.]

LOGAN: Oh, I don't think I'll be able to make it tonight, uh...

[Veronica's smile fades. A girl shouts in the background.]

GIRL: Come on, do it! Come on! LOGAN: 'Cause it looks like I'm getting lucky. Hey, I'll see you tomorrow, babe.

[Veronica is not happy.]

[...]

INT - HEARST COLLEGE, LIBRARY - DAY.

[A copy of The Tell-Tale Heart and Other Stories by Edgar Allen Poe (it's a typo, should be Edgar Allan Poe) slams down on the help desk.]

POP: Uh, can I check that out?

VERONICA: Guilty conscience, eh?

POP: No, actually, uh, somebody told me I needed to come down here and check it out.

[Pop looks around]

VERONICA: Me. I left you the message.

[Veronica marches to the bookcase to return the book to its place on the shelf. Pop follows her.]

POP: You. All right, so what's this about? You said that you knew I'd done something wrong.

VERONICA: That sound in your head, Pop, [loudly and dramatically] it is the beating of this hideous heart.

[Veronica is shushed by someone in the library. Pop looks at her as if she has gone crazy.]

VERONICA: But seriously, I'm giving you the chance to come clean. I know what you did to Kurt. There's no sense trying to deny it.

[Pop squirms and lets out a deep breath.]

VERONICA: Good, you're doing great. Now, we just need to figure out how you can set things straight with Kurt. I mean, I assume you trashed it, so...

POP: No! I've still got it.

VERONICA: [surprised] You do?

POP: Yeah. Uh, do you want me to give it to you?

VERONICA: Well, yeah. That would be a good start.

[Veronica walks back to the help desk. Pop follows her as he digs into his backpack. He pulls out a couple of sheets of paper, folded.]

POP: I mean, I don't really get the third degree. It's just a lousy sociology assignment.

[He hands them to Veronica who examines them, perplexed.]

POP: I mean, I didn't think it would be that big of a deal.

VERONICA: Wait. So when you broke into Kurt's bag, you were stealing homework?

POP: Yeah, I was behind, and I thought it's not like either of us would get caught, so...

VERONICA: When you swiped this, did you see a playbook in his bag?

POP: Yeah, which is actually against the rules, but Kurt's cool and I was stealing his homework.

VERONICA: What time did you two stop playing Guitar Hero that night?

POP: I don't know. Oneish? Whenever his girl showed up and kicked me out.

VERONICA: Trish?

[Pop nods his head. Veronica ponders anew.]

[...]

INT - HEARST COLLEGE, LIBRARY - CONTINUING.

[Veronica is still listening to the blood donor call, her brow furrowed.]

CUSTOMER: Hi.

[A male student arrives at the help desk. Veronica pulls out her earphones]

CUSTOMER: I'm looking into Jack London and mercury poisoning?

[Veronica, a little distracted, takes a minute to concentrate]

VERONICA: Um, third floor, aisle nine.

[The guy leaves for the third floor. Veronica is deep in thought and slowly puts the earphones down]

LOGAN: [offscreen] Is this the help desk? 'Cause I need a little help.

[Veronica is astonished to see him. Logan leans on the desk as Veronica rises from her seat.]

LOGAN: 'Cause I need a little help.

VERONICA: Let me guess. You have this pathologically suspicious girlfriend, and you hope maybe there's a guidebook?

LOGAN: No, it's more like, uh...what's beyond pathological?

[Veronica's emotions are very close to the surface and her eyes fill.]

VERONICA: I'm sorry, Logan.

[Logan is surprised to be hearing an apology and seems to appreciate what it's costing her.]

VERONICA: I spent my formative years watching people while they lied to and cheated on and betrayed each other, so the trust thing...it doesn't come naturally, but I'm trying to act unnaturally, I swear.

[She lets out a sigh and drops her head.]

VERONICA: [softly] So there's that.

[She looks up at him again.]

VERONICA: I thought you were in Mexico.

LOGAN: Yeah, well us bad boys usually love Mexico, but, uh...

[He half-grins before becoming serious.]

LOGAN: I was feeling a little reformed.

[He smiles.]

LOGAN: I don't even think Mercer surfs. And I always feel bad about those poor donkeys.

[Veronica swallows and smiles.]

LOGAN: Are you free this weekend? There's a film festival. Incomprehensible foreign movies of three-plus hours.

[Logan waggles his eyebrows. Veronica face brims with feelings for him and she barely nods. They are interrupted by another student.]

DWEEB: Is this the help desk?

[Without taking her eyes off of Logan, Veronica reaches down and pulls out the closed sign. She places it on the desk in front of the hapless student. Logan looks back at her, excited. Veronica is now beaming.]

VERONICA: Sounds nice. But let's find you that guidebook...

[She grabs his hand and hangs onto it as she comes round to his side of the desk. She passes him, puts her other hand behind her, and swaps hands. She pulls him towards a staircase as the dweeb looks on.]

VERONICA: Which I think is on the dark, lonely top floor.

[Veronica doesn't wait. She puts her arm around his shoulder and starts to kiss him before they even make the stairs. They kiss and walk and climb the stairs all at the same time. They break for a heartbeat to stare into each other's eyes and kiss again. As they get up to the small landing, Veronica nestles her head on Logan's chest.]

[End. Executive producer Rob Thomas. End music: "Fidelity" by Regina Spektor.]

No comments:

Post a Comment