Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Case Study No. 0103: Patrick Sweeney

Working at a library is like the Matrix
1:55
I always feel like working at a library is just like the Matrix because everything we need to do our job is right here for us at our fingertips. Anything we want to learn from languages to marketing to budgeting is available to us at all times on our shelves. So it always surprises me when I see that libraries are not at the forefront of technology, innovation, and design. I think its time that we, as librarians, take the responsibility to take the time to learn everything we need to do our jobs better. After all, how can we expect our patrons to learn when we don't do it ourselves. So this is my challenge to all librarians - find out what you need to learn to do your job better, then learn it.

Of course, I might be totally wrong here. If I am, take the time to comment, criticize, and don't forget to subscribe, and let me know how you feel. Thanks Team.

Patrick Sweeney
www.pcsweeney.com

PLUGGING IN
Twitter @psweeney
myspace /pcsweeney
youtube /pcsweeneydotcom
Tags: Libraries Librarian library innovation
Added: 2 years ago
From: pcsweeneydotcom
Views: 591

[scene opens with Patrick speaking directly to the camera]
PATRICK: Alright team, we're gonna talk about why working in a library is just like The Matrix. I am a nerd, and I am a fan of The Matrix. So, you know how in The Matrix when Neo is trying to rescue Morpheus, and they're on top of the building and Trinity needs to learn how to fly the helicopter? And they just download it real fast into her brain? Well, that's how I feel working in a library. We are surrounded by all the information we could possibly need to do any aspect of our job. If you need to write a report for the library board, or an article for the newspaper ...
[he holds up a copy of "The Work of Writing"]
PATRICK: If you need some music for your childrens' program ...
[he holds up a copy of "The Acoustic Guitar Method"]
PATRICK: Let's say you work in an area where 90 percent of the population speaks Spanish ...
[he holds up a copy of "Dimelo Tu!"]
PATRICK: Or let's just say you get some asinine idea to make a video blog for libraries ...
[he holds up a copy of "Videoblogging For Dummies"]
PATRICK: But what I'm saying is that everything that we need to do our jobs is right there in the library. From creating library websites, to budgeting, to marketing strategic plans, it's all there. So it always surprises me when libraries don't have the best of everything. Now, when I talk to other librarians about this, I always get the same argument - "Why should I learn it? They're not gonna pay me extra to learn it!" Y'know what? You're probably right. They're not gonna pay you to learn this stuff. But wouldn't it be nice to go to the next job interview and, when they ask you what you can bring to the table, you say "Oh well, website design. I speak Spanish. I can write a marketing plan. I can write a strategic plan. I'm fantastic at budgeting." And if you think that people working for some of the most innovative companies in the world aren't going home and studying up on how they can do a better job, then you're fooling yourself, because they absolutely are! So all I'm saying is that it's time that we as librarians take the time out of our busy days to read a book and become the absolute best at everything we do ... And of course, if you have a good argument as to why we shouldn't be at the forefront of technology, please feel free to email me, comment, but don't forget to subscribe. Thanks team!

---

From wordpress.com:

I always feel like working at a library is just like the Matrix because everything we need to do our job is right here for us at our fingertips. Anything we want to learn from languages to marketing to budgeting is available to us at all times on our shelves. So it always surprises me when I see that libraries are not at the forefront of technology, innovation, and design. I think its time that we, as librarians, take the responsibility to take the time to learn everything we need to do our jobs better. After all, how can we expect our patrons to learn when we don't do it ourselves. So this is my challenge to all librarians – find out what you need to learn to do your job better, then learn it.

Of course, I might be totally wrong here. If I am, take the time to comment, criticize, and don't forget to subscribe, and let me know how you feel. Thanks Team.

And as always, if you have a couple bucks laying around…. Why not donate it to the Coastal Education Project and give the gift of education to coastal communities around the world. www.coastal education project.org

*About Patrick Sweeney*
I am currently the Branch Manager of the East Palo Alto Library in California. This position is allowing me to develop what I have learned from my previous positions in libraries and apply them in a new community, library, and library system. I serve on the organization's emerging technologies committee and am responsible for aspects of the systemwide DVD collection development.

Previously, I worked as a library coordinator (branch manager) of a 40,000 square foot joint use facility in Lincoln California. This library serves a population of approximately 36,000 people, has a budget of 1.2 million dollars, and a team of 11 professional and paraprofessional employees. At LPL I created the Volunteer Program that boasted over 250 volunteers and I created the library's website and managed its online profile.

While in the MLIS program at San Jose State I held the position of Co-Chair and Web-Coordinator for American Library Association (Student Chapter) where our organization won an Associated Students Award for our online outreach program efforts through Youtube and other social networking sites. I have continued this involvement in the professional organization through involvement in ALA Emerging Leaders, a position in the ALA Ethics Committee, and various continuing education opportunities.

Beyond librarianship I have held many positions in organizations that enhance and broaden my skill sets. I was an elementary school librarian in Santa Cruz California where I worked with a diverse and largely Spanish speaking community. As a researcher/writer in Kowloon Tong, Hong Kong I had the opportunity to work in a diverse and challenging environment. As a Martial Arts instructor I was able to help people work as a team to achieve many of their personal goals. And finally, as a manager of Abercrombie and Fitch I was able to gain experience managing people in a fast paced and changing environment.

*About my YouTube videos*
So here is a vlog by a librarian and for librarians. I created this for a couple of reasons;

1) I want to improve my public speaking skills and the great thing about vlogs is that the community will tear apart any idiosyncrasies that I may have in presenting.

2) I hate writing blogs. Theyre long and boring and so much is lost in not communicating non-verbally.

3) Text is dead as a medium on the Internet anyway. Just look at everything you can learn without ever reading an article, blog, or anything really.

4) It looks like there are only a handful of librarian vlogs. Although, now that I think about it... There might be a good reason.

5) I wanted to improve my web skills, video editing skills, and skills at maintaining an online profile.

6) I have all kinds of stuff to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment